Buyer Opened "Item Not Received" Dispute -- Help!!

dchsrocks
New Community Member

So I sold a Nintendo Switch on eBay the other week and I shipped it out through my local USPS Post Office. Day after the buyer receives it, he claims he received an empty box and sent me a picture. Now, he can easily be scamming me because all he showed me was a box with nothing inside of it, but he has good feedback as a user so I tried to work things out by figuring out a fair solution for both of us. I cannot simply afford to lose $250 to a refund because I know the eBay seller would lose. Anyways, yesterday, he opened a dispute on PayPal that the item was not received. I responded and provided the tracking number which shows it was delivered on April 15th. I also included pictures of my USPS receipt with the item tracking number and item weight (1 Lb 9.40 Oz) to prove it was not shipped empty when I dropped it off. Now currently waiting on PayPal to make decision...am I going to win or lose as the seller??

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dchsrocks 

If he opened a dispute for non receipt then if you have trackable proof of delivery, you should win.

If he had opened a dispute for item received but not as described ie empty box then he may well have won.

If you win then tell him you will put in a claim with USPS for item arriving missing and 'assist' him in getting a refund from them?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

dchsrocks
New Community Member

Yes, he opened it as "Item Not Received" which led PayPal to ask for a tracking number which I provided. I was surprised as I thought he would open as "Item Received but not as described" so hopefully I am able to come out in favor. I tried filing a claim with USPS but they would not allow me to as I did not purchase with insurance (extra $50, would have been losing money on the item at that point).

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dchsrocks 

Personally i would have sent insured, buyer pays postage costs after all not the seller but anyway i think he made a big mistake in opening a dispute for non receipt.

But no one wins really, if the buyer loses and he really did not get the item then its a shame you can't claim with any insurance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ris49
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not a seller, I'm a buyer. So from that perspective, Why should I be out for something I purchased but had no control over. If I received an empty box, that would speak for it's self, but if I received Nothing but tracking showed delivered, the only person that can file a claim with the shipper is the person shipping.  If the person that shipped the item did not insure it then again, that is on the Seller. After filing a claim with the delivery service it will then be upon them to decide what happened to the package. I have had several packages showed delivered but with checking the seller actually sent it to someone else. Not even my package but used that tracking number.  It's a rough situation but if you are legit and actually sent the item in the package with the correct tracking number the shipper should resolve it. PayPal is primarily for the seller and does little for the buyer so you should have an advantage there. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.