Buyer Chargeback "Unauthorised transaction"

theswagatronic
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys. 

I had sold an item on 24th December 2020. PO was closed till the 30th So I had shipped it out then. All tracking info was given etc.. and I was eligible for seller protection. Shipped it to the buyer's address and everything.

Then the buyer opened a dispute claiming "unauthorized transaction" a week later despite the item still being in transit. I had contacted the buyer and PayPal about this, and the buyer said something was wrong with their account and they were fully aware of the transaction. Paypal had told me it was filed on the buyer's financial institution, so Paypal was trying to sort it out. I also provided all evidence to this dispute and given all the proof and receipts of postage and even pictures of the parcel with the tracking etc... which is still awaiting reviewal. 

Now a month later PayPal has given me an update saying they have taken the funds on hold from my account despite them not even there

" USD 1,200.00 has now been debited from your PayPal account because of the following reason(s):

• We were unable to verify the delivery information you provided." 

I have also been given a chargeback fee despite me not even being the one who filed the claim in the first place...

Now my account is in a negative balance of 65$ and I am also at a loss of 40$ for the postage to the buyer, so I have literally shipped an item worth loads, and I am in extra loss of 110$ 

The item is still in transit, the account in negative balance , and no funds at all for the sale...

Really worried about this. Why am I getting this for being a compliant seller?

Any advice or help is appreciated. I contacted customer support through messages today but no response.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@theswagatronic 

A chargeback is not a Paypal dispute, the buyer has gone straight to their card issuer and filed the chargeback.

So Paypal does not make any decisions, all they do is pass on any information on your behalf to the buyers card issuer.

The card issuer makes the decision and as the buyer had not received the item they paid for in a month then the card issuer awarded them a refund.

They also charged you their processing fee.

You would or may have been reimbursed by paypal if you had met all the requirements of seller protection.

But as presumably you can't prove trackable proof of delivery of the item to the buyer then you negated that seller protection.

If the item is lost in the post then you can claim from any insurance you took out when you sent the item?  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

theswagatronic
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, thanks. I understand the dispute was filed by the buyer and his bank or card processor. 

But I am eligible for Seller Protection as it states on the Transaction page. I also do have proof of tracking and had given all the relevant information to the dispute page. But these chargeback fees still don't make sense. I was charged 65.10$ today which is the amount Paypal had taken as a Fee on the original sale. Paypal has then taken 130.20$ from me If I am correct.

I read in the rules chargeback fees are returned or voided if I am eligible for Seller protection, which I was and still am. 

The item is still in transit due to delays and I had contacted the buyer and they also said something was wrong with their PayPal account and card processor. They had in fact "Authorized" the transaction.

This still isn't making sense to me that a buyer can pay through PayPal, then file a chargeback through his card, in which the money is returned to him, Then Paypal takes a fee from me for doing nothing wrong.

Are you telling me that the 40$ I spent on postage, 65.10$ as a fee to Paypal, and then the loss of my parcel with a product worth 1200$, is deemed fair by PayPal?

I literally did everything that was said on the PayPal seller protection page.....

Attached a link to the evidence if you do not believe me. Link of proof... 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.