Business fraud by insisting on friends & family payment?

GOOBasap
Contributor
Contributor

What do you do when you know a business is encouraging customers to send payments via friends and family (via detailed instructions and reduction in service fee if they do so) even though they are clearly operating a business? The business in question is an MLM and is charging an additional fee to use PayPal (the only method of payment they accept) even though no other MLM does so.  Therefore, if you want to buy the product at the advertised price, you must send via friends and family and just trust that they will follow through.  The fee is substantially higher than the fee they would pay if they used PayPal G&S properly

There seems to be no way to report this to PayPal.  Perhaps PayPal doesn't care? If so, I really wish I had known that ages ago when I had a small business.  I could have saved a ton on PayPal fees.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GOOBasap wrote:

What do you do when you know a business is encouraging customers to send payments via friends and family (via detailed instructions and reduction in service fee if they do so) even though they are clearly operating a business? The business in question is an MLM and is charging an additional fee to use PayPal (the only method of payment they accept) even though no other MLM does so.  Therefore, if you want to buy the product at the advertised price, you must send via friends and family and just trust that they will follow through.  The fee is substantially higher than the fee they would pay if they used PayPal G&S properly

There seems to be no way to report this to PayPal.  Perhaps PayPal doesn't care? If so, I really wish I had known that ages ago when I had a small business.  I could have saved a ton on PayPal fees.

Call PayPal customer service. The user in question is trying to avoid disputes too, charging for fees that do not go to PayPal. All you can do is report it, whether they do something about it is on them.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

they risk in losing their Paypal account and then they have to find another way to accept payment.

Paypal fee is not as bad as Ebay fee,if they cant afford Paypal fee ,then they aren't making much. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.