Bizarre Mistaken Chargeback -- from 2001!

MadOverlord

This is just weird, and I'm getting nowhere with PayPal support.

I just had a transaction reversed because of a dispute. Except the original transaction was in January 2001 -- over 18 years ago!

It gets even weirder. I didn't get any notifications about the dispute until it was decided against me and the money removed from the account. I can't even view the dispute in the Resolution Center -- clicking on the "+" or "view" just generate an error. And I can't even ask the customer, since the email associated with the transaction is no longer working.

Despite all of the above, PayPal support's position is that (a) the chargeback is valid, despite the fact that disputes need to be opened within 180 days and (b) "From researching your account history, I can see that your issue has been resolved." In other words, I'm just getting boilerplate.

I am not particularly concerned about the money, it's a relatively small amount. But this either means that PayPal has a flaw in their dispute procedures that permits this sort of mistake, or, even more concerning, this may be evidence of an attack by malicious actors.

Either way, I need help escalating this to someone who can investigate and explain why a transaction that is old enough to vote can get reversed!

Much obliged for any assistance you can provide.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.