**Beware**Gumtree**Scam**

Temp20221108A
Contributor
Contributor

I posted several items on gumtree for sale and received a text from a woman called **** ***** asking if I still had an item (the most expensive one on the list) and to email her.

Eager to sell the item, I obliged and emailed her. She replied with the following:

Great! please consider both sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap,

i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,

sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound.

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal once you are ready.

Kindly get back to me with your location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

I replied asking if she was local to me and if a bank transfer or cash on collection would be possible. She ignored the 1st question and said she has no access to bank because she is house bound. Then gave me a link to PayPal.

After repeatedly asking where she was from and only getting her email address as a reply, I googled her name and came across a thread detailing the email I received but using a different name. So be careful. **** ***** (******** at ****.***) 

Login to Me Too
220 REPLIES 220

Kiasimz2003
Contributor
Contributor
Unfortunately I fell a victim to this fraudster I recently had to move which was a very sudden and rough move. I needed money as I’m skint so I decided to sell my xbox for £250 As I was desperate and in the wrong mindset at the time (due to mental health issues) I didn’t realise it at the time, now looking at it the signs were so obvious I’m in contact with police to try get my money! If anyone has fell victim to this please message me with some information about her, the more the better
Login to Me Too

Joesmum
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have a mobile number for them if that helps. Let me know and I’ll provide it for you. X

Login to Me Too

NotRenton
Contributor
Contributor

Would you be able to tell us what happened and how they did it?

Login to Me Too

BelPearce

Hi, 

My mother in law fell victim to this lady today. We have potentially lost £475. The lady is now going my Melissa <Removed> and her apparent courier is named Victor <Removed>. 

Devastated that we fell for this scam but we have never used paypal to recieve money for anything before so didnt know anything was wrong until we didnt recieve the money. 

I hope this new information helps you with more details, Im sure it will be the same person who caught you.

Ellie 

Login to Me Too

Suzie23
Contributor
Contributor
Year 2020 and just had this scam too today. Not playing it. So ignoring now!
Login to Me Too

Clotaytay
New Community Member

<removed>; This person has tried it with me! That’s x2 in a day now! It’s a good job I’m not gullible, she wanted me to post to America as she was self isolating apparently, didn’t want anymore photos or anything of the item I was selling &amp; she was willing to pay a lot more for the item. Didn’t quite add up really!

Login to Me Too

OveritD
New Community Member
This happened to me today. I must admit the email from PayPal was in numerous font so that was a dead give away. And wanted shipment to the US. If it doesn’t feel right it probably isn’t right! Beware of these low lives.
Login to Me Too

Jayjayriri
New Community Member

I appreciate your quick response and am satisfied with the ad. I am ready to purchase it now for my uncle as a surprise gift,I would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though, and also I will not be available to come for an inspection due to my tight schedule these days.Kindly get back to me with the following questions below:, 1) Are you the Owner? 2) Pick up Location? 3) Price again for confirmation 4)Your Full Bank Details For Online Transfer with Immediate Effect Then Am satisfied with the price I will be buying this for the price you have listed it for.Payment will be sent using bank transfer and i will handle the Bank surcharge as well.I will arrange with someone to have this picked up from your location once i have paid as i am out of town at the moment.and i will be glad if you get back to me with your full bank details i will be glad if you can get back to me asap so i can know if you are still interested in this deal. I can assure you that I am a faithful person and this transaction will be a legit transaction. pls kindly get back to me if you are interested in this deal. tinnaban<removed>

Login to Me Too

Lexghoul
Contributor
Contributor
This happened to me yesterday. You would think after years of using the same message they would change it. Muppets. Such an annoying waste of time. This is the message I got “Awesome... please delete the ad and consider it sold as i am paying your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have done thorough check on the advert and i'm fine with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to view or collect it due to house bound i went through throat cancer surgery and couldn't talk more but will be okay soon but i have an agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today and pick up arrangement will commence after you have cashed your money...if that is ok with you.... I need you to provide me with the details below so i can proceed with the payment Your Full name: PayPal email: Amount: Phone number: Pickup address Item name: I am waiting for you fast response on this....Thanks“
Login to Me Too

justJoellyn
Contributor
Contributor

Edited to add: first contact was via someone named <removed>, who asked for my email address for an interested friend. This person had an inconsistent understanding of the use of a space bar. "Katherine <removed>" hit me up a few hours later claiming to be the friend. Same story, out of state, wants it desperately. Needs a third party to pick it up, asked for PayPal email and name. Interestingly, they then had a story about not being able to pay the pickup person via bank transfer as they only have access PayPal at the moment (umm what?) And asked if they could send the delivery fee to my account to pay the pick up people in cash. Gonna be fun to see where this goes.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.