**Beware**Gumtree**Scam**

Temp20221108A
Contributor
Contributor

I posted several items on gumtree for sale and received a text from a woman called **** ***** asking if I still had an item (the most expensive one on the list) and to email her.

Eager to sell the item, I obliged and emailed her. She replied with the following:

Great! please consider both sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap,

i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,

sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound.

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal once you are ready.

Kindly get back to me with your location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

I replied asking if she was local to me and if a bank transfer or cash on collection would be possible. She ignored the 1st question and said she has no access to bank because she is house bound. Then gave me a link to PayPal.

After repeatedly asking where she was from and only getting her email address as a reply, I googled her name and came across a thread detailing the email I received but using a different name. So be careful. **** ***** (******** at ****.***) 

Login to Me Too
220 REPLIES 220

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20221108A

Yep scams been ongoing for years, glad you were not caught out.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Temp20221108A
Contributor
Contributor
I finally had a reply to my question.: I sent her this - Where do you live? I can deliver for an extra £10 She replied - I am in North Lanarkshire but it's heading to Nigeria so using the courier would be the best option. I then replied - Thank you for the confirmation. I am fully aware this is a scam. Contact me again and I will goto the authorities. No response haha
Login to Me Too

Sharon14
Contributor
Contributor
Hi my instinct kicked in when I thought my buyer was stern with her replies. Same letter as all . I've still no moneys ( thou she sent yesterday ) thank God I twigged . Going to get 2nd option and advice tomorrow. But will share some of your post if I may as really good
Login to Me Too

jonnykerm
New Community Member

I've just had a message from the same 'person' – frustrating time wasters.

Login to Me Too

cheynise96
New Community Member
Thieving **bleep**!!!! Tried to do they same with me, exactly the same message! I hope Paypal can do something merging about this person!
Login to Me Too

alexxpotter
Contributor
Contributor

Just exactly the same message after listing my car. Happily, a quick internet search and I shall be ignoring... I wonder if anyone actually manages these sorts of scams any longer?!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@alexxpotter

Unfortunately yes, we get posts every week from folks that have been scammed this way  Smiley Sad

But to save you being scammed can i say that you have zero seller protection if you accept paypal for the sale of a motor vehicle.

Personally i would accept bank transfer or cash.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

fal_a
New Community Member

Ive just had the same email but from a Stacy <removed> with gmail email address: XXXXXXXXX
When being told I will only accept cash payment i received a link on how to set up a PayPal account. Cheeky sods! <br>Is there no way these people can be caught??!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fal_a

As they are probably in Africa somewhere using internet cafes and hijacked or ananymous email i.d's then unfortunately no.

Paypal can't do anything as these scammers do not have paypal accounts.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.