Any Seller had this kind of case opened up against them?

onyerbikeltd
Contributor
Contributor

A buyer purchased a £300 jacket from us via eBay's global shipping programme and paid via PayPal. We sent the product with full tracking and to the correct address in order to be covered under the PayPal Seller Protection. Later the buyer opened on PayPal for '' The buyer reported a charge for a cancelled pre-approved payment. '' We do not offer pre-approved payment, subscriptions or re-occuring payments, this was a single sale transaction. We contacted PayPal who assured us to treat it as any '' item not received case '' and that we would be covered under the seller protection regardless. We provided all tracking and details needed. The case then closed in the BUYERS favour. We contacted PayPal on chat who replied with '' your buyer's financial institution have opened this case, this means PayPal are not in control of the outcome. Once a dispute of this type or any type is opened directly with the buyers bank, we have no control over the case outcome, it was escalated internally by a previous agent to our senior chargebacks team, and they have advised we cannot extend seller protection in this case. '' . The buyer received their item and their money back in this fraud case. We have escalated this to the chargeback team three times and this was our last response. '' I can see that escalation was made and our chargeback team has denied the appeal giving the reason that this chargeback was worked correctly. ''. How PayPal can let buyers get away with this is beyond me. If anyone else has had a similar event or knows of a way to get round this, please get in contact with me.

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@onyerbikeltd 

Cool, perseverance and seeing how your case fit and not fit the claim and ability to navigate within that works (like any court case/litigation). 

Pre-approved payment is when an eBay buyer set up a billing agreement to pay at the merchant site or or link their PayPal account to eBay for fast, easy payment and its an assumed automatic agreement to pay whatever purchase that comes through. Barring some technical bug, a 'properly' canceled pre-approved payment shouldn't go through.

The buyer's claims seems iffy to me (on a £300 jacket, just so happens) and was buyer's remorse of some kind. It takes a lot of steps, barring unauthorized access of their account(s), to make a purchase, including searching for the item to buy. (note:  eBay Global Shipping Program is expensive for the buyer (tacks on customs fees and taxes, plus shipping from US to Intl destination which isn't cheap from the US) but less expensive and convenient for the seller). They reported it with the off "billing error with a canceled pre-approved payment" reason, because maybe they know they don't have a case under Item Not Received because you had tracking and shipped to the address on the payment. The buyer proceeded to file a claim with their financial institution which would close the PayPal dispute, if there was one, and was dealt with on the chargeback level where the bank makes the ruling and a lot of info pertinent to the case would be kept from the seller so one does have to provide every bit of info and communicate extensively with PayPal to fight it as well as a lot of convincing of PayPal to cover you on a high value item. It's no thing if it is was a low to moderate (£100, at the most) amount.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

user127122

I am dealing with this same issue right now. Encouraging to see that this may still be something that can be resolved, but also absolutely RIDICULOUS that PayPal still has not fixed this ridiculous loophole. Allowing scammers to have a field day, unacceptable behavior!

Any other advice you have? I wish we would have seen this page early and kept everything in chat as we were reassured at least 5-6 times by various PayPal representatives, including supervisors, that we were covered under Seller Protection only for us not to be. 

Also how on earth does the financial institution approve these types of chargebacks?! Sigh. Broken system.

Login to Me Too

KBAHF
Contributor
Contributor

We experienced something similar.

Recently, paypal misunderstood a transaction valued around $250 as unauthorised transaction and reversed the transaction without notice. The items were on its way from interstate and were delivered the day after paypal reversed the transaction.

We have evidence that it is not a fraud transaction because of the following reasons:

1) Customer emailed several days after his purchase to confirm he made a purchase and requested a follow up on delivery

2) Customer contacted paypal the next day and paypal then reversed the transaction

3) No further email from the customer except a week later when he emailed to tell us items were delivered and that he contacted paypal before because there was no response from us

We've been in contact with paypal for over a month and there's still no solution. We've been told because it is a fraudulent transaction, we are not eligible for seller protection, hence the money was taken out from our account. The person we chat with kept saying it is a fraudulent transaction although we provided screenshot of the customer's email showing it was a genuine purchase. Only today, we've been given an email address to escalate the issue. There's no guarantee this will be resolved but we're still trying.

There's always risk in selling, we get it. But why do we have to pay when paypal makes mistakes?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.