Any Seller had this kind of case opened up against them?

onyerbikeltd
Contributor
Contributor

A buyer purchased a £300 jacket from us via eBay's global shipping programme and paid via PayPal. We sent the product with full tracking and to the correct address in order to be covered under the PayPal Seller Protection. Later the buyer opened on PayPal for '' The buyer reported a charge for a cancelled pre-approved payment. '' We do not offer pre-approved payment, subscriptions or re-occuring payments, this was a single sale transaction. We contacted PayPal who assured us to treat it as any '' item not received case '' and that we would be covered under the seller protection regardless. We provided all tracking and details needed. The case then closed in the BUYERS favour. We contacted PayPal on chat who replied with '' your buyer's financial institution have opened this case, this means PayPal are not in control of the outcome. Once a dispute of this type or any type is opened directly with the buyers bank, we have no control over the case outcome, it was escalated internally by a previous agent to our senior chargebacks team, and they have advised we cannot extend seller protection in this case. '' . The buyer received their item and their money back in this fraud case. We have escalated this to the chargeback team three times and this was our last response. '' I can see that escalation was made and our chargeback team has denied the appeal giving the reason that this chargeback was worked correctly. ''. How PayPal can let buyers get away with this is beyond me. If anyone else has had a similar event or knows of a way to get round this, please get in contact with me.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

onyerbikeltd
Contributor
Contributor

In case any one of you had the same issue as me - I actually won this case. Woo!! Determination seems to be the key here. I made sure I was the biggest pain by questioning everything. I spoke on chat to PayPal as much as possible. Make sure it is on chat - so you can have a transcript of what was said sent to you. This is in case they turn around and say something different to what was said before - you can quote it direct. Anyway. After opening a case with the Financial Ombudsman, I printed every single one of my transcript chats, my ebay sale, my dpd tracking information and literally anything else that has any relevance to the case, however small, and send it in one big fat document. I told PayPal I had opened a case with the Financial Ombudsman, because they told me that the decision they made was final and there would be no more 'escalating' of my case. Randomly a month or two later, I get the notification that the money has now been refunded to me on PayPal as the case was decided in my favour. Funny that! PayPal cannot go against their own T&C's so make sure you challenge them on this repeatedly.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi onyerbikeltd, 

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member!

It is correct that if the buyer opens a chargeback with their card issuer, it is the card issuer who completes the investigation and makes the final decision on the case. If the case is found in the buyer's favour, we will then review the transaction on your account to see if you are eligible for Seller Protection. We may require additional information from you at this point such as the tracking number. Did you receive an email from PayPal advising you why you were unable to cover you under the Seller Protection Policy for this claim? 

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Teslafan101
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

'The buyer reported a charge for a cancelled pre-approved payment'

Do you still have the email from Paypal telling you YOU GOT CASH ?

In the email,it will tell you if your transaction is part or fully eligible for seller protection and the address you must ship to?

Is there any indication on your end it is a cancelled pre-approved payment? 

Login to Me Too

onyerbikeltd
Contributor
Contributor

Yes PayPal stated ''the buyer opened a case with their bank, the bank opened the incorrect type of case which means this was not covered for seller protection, with these types of cases the bank are in control of the final outcome. We have escalated this across to our chargebacks team for you and the decision has not changed. ''. However according to the PayPal user agreement 11.6 Eligibility Requirements, we meet these and should actually be covered under the seller protection. The bank openeing the incorrect type of case is not listed in 11.10 of the user agreement for examples of items/transactions/cases that are not eligible for PayPal seller protection. The person I spoke to said 'I am going to have to escalate this once more for you, I am sending this to the manager in the chargebacks department, as you can see this is not a normal case. Can I come back to you?' This will be the 4th time it has been escalated. Surely we have to be covered for this.

Login to Me Too

onyerbikeltd
Contributor
Contributor

I contacted PayPal again whereby we were given the same message that it cannot be covered due to the fact it was a bank opening the case. I stated the PayPal user agreement again to which I was replied with ''We have reviewed the claim and unfortunately we will have to pass this further down to our escalation chargeback team. Unfortunately there are areas where we cannot access within the tool as these are worked directly by the team. '' I stated this was over the 5th time it had been escalated, why would this time be any different and they stated '' This is a different escalation path, hopefully final with no further need to escalate''. I would really appreciate any help with this!

Login to Me Too

onyerbikeltd
Contributor
Contributor

I have now been told to wait 3-4 weeks. Is anyone reading these messages? Can anyone help me please?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @onyerbikeltd,

I'm sorry that you've had this experience. If the reason for the chargeback was that the item was reported as not being received and you have tracking that shows delivery, Seller Protection should be in effect even if the case is disputed again with the payment method institution. Please reach out to customer service again to discuss the situation if the tracking does show the delivery of the item to the right location.

To contact customer service, please click Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website for available options, or reach out by Facebook or Twitter.

I hope this can be resolved quickly!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

onyerbikeltd
Contributor
Contributor

I have told PayPal this over 10 times, my case has been escalated over 7 times now. We followed the EXACT seller protection requirements and the bank opening the incorrect type of case is not listed in 11.10 of the user agreements for examples of items/transactions/cases that are not eligible for PayPal seller protection.
What else can be done? I have spoken to PayPal on chat, on the phone, via email. This is the most unjust situation.

Login to Me Too

onyerbikeltd
Contributor
Contributor

I have opened a case with the financial ombudsman regarding this case. PayPal refuse to give me a detailed explanation as to why the decision was upheld in this case.

Login to Me Too
Solved

onyerbikeltd
Contributor
Contributor

In case any one of you had the same issue as me - I actually won this case. Woo!! Determination seems to be the key here. I made sure I was the biggest pain by questioning everything. I spoke on chat to PayPal as much as possible. Make sure it is on chat - so you can have a transcript of what was said sent to you. This is in case they turn around and say something different to what was said before - you can quote it direct. Anyway. After opening a case with the Financial Ombudsman, I printed every single one of my transcript chats, my ebay sale, my dpd tracking information and literally anything else that has any relevance to the case, however small, and send it in one big fat document. I told PayPal I had opened a case with the Financial Ombudsman, because they told me that the decision they made was final and there would be no more 'escalating' of my case. Randomly a month or two later, I get the notification that the money has now been refunded to me on PayPal as the case was decided in my favour. Funny that! PayPal cannot go against their own T&C's so make sure you challenge them on this repeatedly.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.