Account in the negative and paypal refuses to review evidence that would reverse their ruling.

loveless520
Contributor
Contributor

As the title says, the situation is that, as a service provider I've been told numerous times that my work doesn't constitute as an item, but a service and due to this, anytime a client back charges me (even for work that has been done for months now) Paypal automatically sides with the person.

The way this seems to work is that, all they have to do is claim the charges were made unawares to them (it was unauthorized) and even after attempting to speak with several people about this, none will acknowledge the evidence I have which contradicts their ruling.

Is there anything I can do about this? Short of completely not using Paypal anymore? (which im seriously considering doing).

Anyone in their right mind can see the guy is shady and lying after viewing the months of chat logs we have together, the messages confirming that he himself did indeed send money on that date, and blatant lies he's been telling in order to game their system.

Do I need to take legal matters into my own hands or is that even possible? To date I've lost almost 800$ between two paypal accounts and I know other people who have lost upwards of 8,000$.

Simply dropping the fault in the hands of the provider , throwing their hands up into the air and going "well you should have used X feature, that's what it's there for" is a terrible policy.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@loveless520 

Depending on the region of seller and buyer, "services" might or might not be covered. PayPal Seller and Buyer protection program is not a guarantee, warranty or insurance and has it's limitations.

To confirm whether or not your transaction is covered:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/legalhub-full

View it for your seller protection terms and view it for your client's buyer protection terms as well based on location as it will apply to you as a seller.

As a result of what you'll find, PayPal might not be suitable for you business model. Regarding using "X Feature", that is not policy, but advice to mitigate damage.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

loveless520
Contributor
Contributor

This doesn't help one bit, in fact it's word for word the exact thing paypal services and security keep telling me.

It's an obvious fault in their services or systems.

The main problem here is rather simple, people abuse the "unauthorized payment" as a reason to have their chargebacks go through, because paypal does not allow the other party to dispute anything about the process, nor to offer up any evidence.

I have evidence that would reverse their ruling, (evidence that proves the person in question fraudulently claimed that the payment sent was "unauthorized" ) and much like yourself, everyone just glances over that fact and recites to me policy that is abused by thousands of people every year since the inception of this service (which i learned after doing some research on my own).

Everyone is in such a hurry to recite these "policies" as law rather than actually hear what I have to say.
Frankly, it's garbage. I've never disputed the issue that the guy got me on a technicality, I also understand WHY they ruled the way they did.

In this particular instance though I have clear proof that the guy knowingly sent money to me on the date of the transaction.

Photo evidence, months of chat logs, but apparently that doesn't matter because..you know.. policy.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.