A new way to scam? Or a hole PayPal can hide in?

Savingwings
Contributor
Contributor

Sold a camera 925.00 and shipped USPS. The camera was picked up and signed for. Next thing I know is customers filled dispute with EBay which was denied claimed he didn’t get what he ordered? Then a claim wth PayPal which was denied! Then again with eBay, again denied. After spending many hours with both eBay and PayPal I get notice that he filed with his bank. According to PayPal at that time they would dispute the request, and I was not to worry as I was covered under seller protection. I filed a police report, turned in serial number to camera manufacture as stolen, and tried to file police report in the city buyer was located. Police department would not take report as it was a different state and they required you meet with officer to file report.

Now during all this I made no less than 25 calls to PayPal asking questions and trying to find out the right thing to do. Each call I was told “do not worry you are protected by ou seller protection policy”. Only to find out I was not. PayPal never told me anything I should do for the dispute, in fact I was told several times that they did not know what the chargeback request from the bank was, or what was to happen next. I sent phots and an affidavit showing the packaging and shipping of camera. Went to the trouble of getting varifilable proof of address and name match. Through all of this PayPal never told me what I could or should do,or that they had requested for item to be returned, but insisted that I was protected. The only thing I was told was PayPal was disputing with the bank on the chargeback, and again not to worry I was protected by seller protection. Now the final blow! I received notice that 925.00 was taken from my funds, and I was not protected by seller Protection! In fact no one ever asked the buyer to return item (According to eBay he refused one time, and second time told eBay post office had box and camera). And as for pal pal disputing this chargeback they told bank he signed for package and it was delivered! Nothing about police report or other evidence I worked on. And to top it off bank claimed “not as described” and PayPal does nothing to protect me or request a better investigation. Now later as of this month I find out PayPal legal department has not gotten back with me after two letters ‘certified’ and I find he also turned it and collected from usps a claim all because he used a charge card and PayPal has no power to do anything about it... why am I upset I think PayPal is lying about many things and I don’t know how to prove any of it yet!   Reason I say new scam, is in talking to my bank on how to fight this, I was told as a courtesy to the banks customers they always side wth the customer and when paypal is named they always claim “not as described” as the default for credit card reversal, or even if funds were taken from checking account, and they do not require for merchandise to be returned. Their policy on any purchase less than 1,500.00 !

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Savingwings,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

I am sorry to hear that this happened and of your negative experience with our Customer Service. In general, a chargeback is filed with the card issuer directly and not with PayPal. As a consequence, unfortunately, we do not have ownership of the outcome of the case. Our job, in this case, is to collect your information and provide it to the bank as intermediaries. Also, we try to cover your loss by offering you our Seller Protection policy. However, chargeback filed for 'Item Not As Described'' are not covered in case of chargebacks. 

You can find more information here

Martina

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.