Windsor

Kat1626
Contributor
Contributor
Hi all I sold my phone on gumtree and the person said they would pay me via paypal. They said that PayPal took her money but would hold it until they got a tracking number. It all looked legit so I did it. It wasnt until I sent the phone that my friend said it looked like a scam. Unfortunately it was too late to call the postiffice and I was on hold to paypal for way too long. I have reported it to the fraud team and have a crime reference number. But what do I do now to try and get my money? Anyone else had this issue and got their money? Thanks
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kat1626 

Basically there was no payment sent. That's the scam...buyer send a fake email saying they've paid but they really haven't. Check email address the email came from to see if its even a real PayPal payment confirmation email. IF someone really sent payment, you will see a record of it in your PayPal account. Even if the payment is subject to PayPal's 21 day funds availability hold, you should still see a record of payment marked "On Hold" and in your Pending Balance.

There are times though when a payment is sent and PayPal reviews it for up to 72 hours before sending it on to you so you can call customer service to see if there is a payment under review for your account that haven't reached you yet. IF you have a transaction ID off the PayPal email to provide to PayPal, that would help. Otherwise, there is no payment for you to get because you were tricked into sending the item out.

To contact customer service:

Click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Or private messaging via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK

Twitter: @paypalUK 

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Kat1626
Contributor
Contributor
Thann you I have a transaction ID but I think it is fake. I have tried calling and messaging PayPal but no one is responding. I will try again tomorrow Thanks again
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.