Selling Gold after 7/31/2020 - Policy Change no longer covers gold items under seller protection?

enzeno
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am looking at getting absolute clarity on the subject:

As of 7/31/2020, if you sell any gold item and accept PayPal as the payment method, you will NOT be covered by Seller Protection any longer.  

I need to confirm if this is true,

I need to confirm that this is for ANY gold item (jewelry, coins, bullion), or are there specifics.

I need to confirm that this means in the event of a charge back, for something such as unauthorized use of a credit card, that this now means I am simply out the $ and out the item.

I am searching for clarity on this as it will drastically change my business model.  If all of these are true, I am not sure why or how anyone would be selling gold items and accepting PayPal as payment.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

enzeno
Contributor
Contributor

I find it interesting that the goal of this was to clarify the policy, when it only seems to make it more confusing.

I have heard back from PayPal that in fact it is only gold bullion that will not be covered for seller protection.  Gold coins, jewelry, watches, etc will be covered under seller protection.  That is good news for me.  

With that said, I have been told twice from PayPal that it was anything gold is not covered, and then told two other times that it was as stated above.  I suggest contacting Paypal for your on clarity on the subject, I made sure to document in their secure chat that gold coins/jewelry/watches would be covered.

There is no list of items that are specifically excluded - but gold bullion in general is.  That does unfortunately lead to some additional vagueness - an American Gold Eagle gold coin for instance.  Is this considered a coin or bullion in the eyes of PayPal?   At this point I am going to assume its bullion.

However a pre-1933 old gold coin would not be considered bullion for instance, as its a collectible coin and not pure gold.   

Get your own clarification and be sure - as the policy change only seems to further muddy the waters of what is covered rather than clear anything up and PayPal themselves do not seem to be all on the same page as to the meaning of this policy since I get different answers from different people.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sovereign2020
New Community Member

Hmmm , seems like the cashless society has come home to roost in america with gold ? so whjat does this mean ? no protection for sellers or buyers and complete loss of confidence also . WIll ebay still cover gold ? bad time for all of us ............................

Login to Me Too

enzeno
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot seem to get this confirmed even from paypal.  They tell me to email them and I have, 2 days later I still don't have an answer.  I have just simply asked if they are in fact canceling seller protection for transactions including gold items.  No response.

eBay will definitely not cover a paypal chargeback.

Login to Me Too
Solved

enzeno
Contributor
Contributor

I find it interesting that the goal of this was to clarify the policy, when it only seems to make it more confusing.

I have heard back from PayPal that in fact it is only gold bullion that will not be covered for seller protection.  Gold coins, jewelry, watches, etc will be covered under seller protection.  That is good news for me.  

With that said, I have been told twice from PayPal that it was anything gold is not covered, and then told two other times that it was as stated above.  I suggest contacting Paypal for your on clarity on the subject, I made sure to document in their secure chat that gold coins/jewelry/watches would be covered.

There is no list of items that are specifically excluded - but gold bullion in general is.  That does unfortunately lead to some additional vagueness - an American Gold Eagle gold coin for instance.  Is this considered a coin or bullion in the eyes of PayPal?   At this point I am going to assume its bullion.

However a pre-1933 old gold coin would not be considered bullion for instance, as its a collectible coin and not pure gold.   

Get your own clarification and be sure - as the policy change only seems to further muddy the waters of what is covered rather than clear anything up and PayPal themselves do not seem to be all on the same page as to the meaning of this policy since I get different answers from different people.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.