I was scammed but Paypal ruled in buyer's favor without even giving me a chance to argue

POTUS
Contributor
Contributor

Here's what happened:

I listed an iphone 12 on swappa.com. The buyer purchased it on Saturday. He said it's a birthday gift and asked me to ship it the same day. I shipped it Saturday afternoon. The next morning (Sunday), I received emails from Palpal saying that the buyer has filed a claim that the transaction was unauthorized. The buyer requested a refund. He also sent an email to me calling me a lier among other things. I realized that I was scammed. I tried to stop the shipment of the item but was unsuccessful since it was Sunday. I also asked swappa to intervene but they didn't help much.On Monday, the buyer replied me on Swappa saying that the claim was filed by his mother by mistake and he will close it. Of course I didn't believe his BS. I went to UPS store to request to stop the delivery and return the package back to the sender (me).  I don't know if the interception will be successful or not, but Paypal already refunded him the full amount. I have a video of me packaging, shipping label, conversations with buyer and everything.

During the process, Palpal only asked me some standard questions via chat. i doubt they actually review the case (to cut cost). I guess "review the case" is just another word for "refund the buyer and let seller eat the loss" Besides, PayPal said my case was not eligible for seller protection. However, it clearly says eligible for seller protection in the trasnaction. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@POTUS 

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.

If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, so your best bet is to go and read up on it to make sure you were covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

POTUS
Contributor
Contributor
The guy who filed the claim did say that he is in the France (I’m in the US). However, that doesn’t mean he’s not a fraud. First, he filed the claim only AFTER the buyer made sure I shipped the item. Second, his PayPal email address is my id on Swappa, so that email is created for that transaction. What if he is running a scam with someone in the US? Just because he is in the France, he can’t be a fraud?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.