Fraud

Mikewalker2373
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all I've just used PayPal for the first time to receive money only to be scammed! I sold a Apple watch for £400 and got an email to say the funds were sent and I'd receive the money once I've confirmed postage. I have since tried to contact the person (Susan <removed>) but have not received any monet of response since I told her I sent the parcel! I have asked PayPal what I can do and got no response and found it impossible to get hold of a human!! I am so disappointed in the service and also lack of help and will never use this site again. I was told this was the safest way to send and receive money but found it to not be the case. I will quite happily tell people not to use it as its just as corrupt as anything else. All the best to the rest of you Mike.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mikewalker2373 

Sorry but I don't think you did ''use paypal'' as it sounds like the below SCAM.

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Mikewalker2373
Contributor
Contributor
Hi thanks for the info. So where can I go from here, like I said it was the first time I used it and didn't know the correct procedure... we have reported the watch as stolen and had it blocked so it should now be no use to them. Can I get any help with this?? Mike
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mikewalker2373 

Sadly if it was that scam then none of the transaction was done using paypals site, so they can't do anything for you.

You were scammed probably by scammers working out of an internet cafe in another country using throwaway or hijacked email addresses.

If you have only just sent it then contact RM and see if they can get it back for you before it leaves the country? 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.