Dispute on a digital key sold - robbed by PayPal and buyer

MisieQQ
Contributor
Contributor
Good afternoon guys! I recently sold a digital key on eBay. As a good seller I have sent it within minutes after the payment was received, as the buyer instructed me to. The problem starts here. After about half an hour I'm receiving an email from eBay and PayPal that the purchase was "unauthorized" and my money has been put on hold. Of course, I have escalated it to PayPal, but as you all can probably suppose, PayPal went in Buyer's favour and refunded the money. It is of course a scam as the code has already been used, which is why I didn't want to refund the buyer. Is there any chance I can do something else or I've simply just lost my money? Will appreciate any help. Thanks, Adam
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

MisieQQ
Contributor
Contributor
I forgot to add that as PayPal has "adjusted" the payments, they even kept their fee... So not only I lost my valued item, I also had to pay money to PayPal for nothing... Disgusting service from PayPal... 😡
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @MisieQQ,

I'm very sorry to hear that the digital item sold has been used. It's possible that the person whose funds were used was not the originator of the payment, and the funds were stolen. In a situation where the goods are physical and can be delivered via a shipping company with tracking, it would be possible for PayPal to offer Seller Protection, and the loss would have been recoverable. I regret that digital items are not covered by Seller Protection and they have a greater risk of being targeted by fraudsters because of the ability to get the goods immediately.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.