Custom Work - Long Delivery Time - How do you protect yourself?

TheBiggerGrinch
Contributor
Contributor

I do a lot of custom work.  Its 90-95% of my total business.  I tell customers upfront about what the estimated start time is based on existing work loads and I put that in the comments on the invoice.  Once in a while I'll get a customer who no longer wants to wait the time they agreed to.  Usually I remind them that I told them both in email and on the invoice what the estimated start time was before they paid for the job.  I also point out that I buy materials and do design work using the money they paid long before I actually start making their part.  Its so when I get to their job I can start on it right then.  Its part of the cost of the job.  Most of the time that is the end of it.  One time just once the customer opened a claim.  Some might argue I should have just given his money back and called it a day, but I don't believe in rewarding bad actions.  They threatened me.  They filed a false police report against me.  Then they filed a claim with PayPal.  I responded with this information and a copy of the invoice clearly showing that the term and start time was on the invoice.  I also provided the invoice and the emails to the Sheriff's department who said, "Well our report is going to be really short on this one."  I really would have preferred to just send the person their money back and be done with them.  They were clearly unpleasant.  "Unpleasant" is me choking back obscenities.  I am waiting for a copy of the police report before filing a complaint against them for filing a false police report or making false statements to law enforcement.  I want to see what his actual claims were that caused his local sheriff to call my local sheriff who sent a deputy to visit me at my shop.  Anyway, I finished the part weeks ahead of schedule last week and shipped it using PayPal shipping.  Today I received notice that PayPal decided to take my money and give it to him anyway.  Can I do anything.  I doubt it.  I am seriously considering payment for custom work to be certified funds only from now on.  Mail a cashier's check or money order or I just won't do the job.  I have a backlog of work anyway.  If it costs me a few customers maybe I'll be able to take a day off and go fishing once in a while.  

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.