Buyer cancelled pending payment just after i posted the package.

Exaybachay
Contributor
Contributor
So on Friday i sold a phone to a PayPal user, he credits my PayPal account with the agreed price, the money gets held in escrow/pending. The package went in the post on Friday, i email the appropriate PayPal email address the proof of postage so that they can release my payment... 34 hours later the buyer cancels the pending payment while the phone is out of my hands and getting delivered to him. Will PayPal allow him to actually cancel the payment?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Exaybachay 

Need more details.

Do you really see a record of payment in your PayPal account? Scammers try to convince you they paid saying payment is “pending” and on hold but you don’t see any transaction in your account. That’s a scam. Even if payment on hold, you’ll still see the payment and it cannot be canceled. So it makes me wonder if you even received a record of payment in your PayPal account to begin with.

PayPal is also not an escrow service. The hold is determined by PayPal based on certain factors. In transaction details, PayPal will tell what you should do next with held payments.

A “completed” payment cannot be canceled. Buyer must open a dispute/chargeback to get a refund.

A pending unclaimed payment can be canceled by the buyer or automatically refunded after 30 days unclaimed by recipient.

With a Pending eCheque, a buyer can cancel through their bank. PayPal tells you in the transaction not to ship on a Pending eCheque until it clears first.

You best bet is to recall the package at your post office ASAP!

More information about holds

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Exaybachay
Contributor
Contributor
The payment shows in my paypal recent Activity section, but it doesn't show in my balance. How the payment was carried out is, i sent him a paypal request with the required amount which i guess he acknowledged? I will recall the package first thing in the morning. Do you know if there is a difference between request sent and payment sent?
Login to Me Too

Joerussell
Contributor
Contributor
Why should they be entitled to keep the package if they didn't pay that is called theft
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.