new business account, cannot chose country other than USA

polyniki
New Community Member

Hello everybody. I am trying to set up a new business account, and after I have entered an email and a password I am immediately asked to verify myself and enter a USA address. Although I can chose a phone number from any country in the world, I just can't pick another country of residence other than USA. What is going on here, what am I missing? Thank you.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@polyniki 

Your forum profile says your PayPal account is a US Business account. If this is not what you want, close this US account (or close browser window) and sign up all over again because the country cannot be changed. Just close the browser tab/window, do not confirm the email address. You’ll receive an email asking you to confirm the email address and that if you did not open the account, you can ignore it/do nothing, something to that effect.

Open new browser tab/window.

Go to the PayPal Global page.

Click your flag.

Click Sign up button located top-right side of the page.

If you can’t use the same email address anyway for your new account, just use a different email address for now. You can try adding the one you want later.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@polyniki 

Your forum profile says your PayPal account is a US Business account. If this is not what you want, close this US account (or close browser window) and sign up all over again because the country cannot be changed. Just close the browser tab/window, do not confirm the email address. You’ll receive an email asking you to confirm the email address and that if you did not open the account, you can ignore it/do nothing, something to that effect.

Open new browser tab/window.

Go to the PayPal Global page.

Click your flag.

Click Sign up button located top-right side of the page.

If you can’t use the same email address anyway for your new account, just use a different email address for now. You can try adding the one you want later.

Login to Me Too

polyniki
New Community Member

Thanks. I really do not understand how this makes sense, that you need to somehow know or guess the special secret link if you are outside the US. I mean come on, can't they see the IP? Why does paypal assume everyone by default signing up comes from the US? Anyway, thank you.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@polyniki 

It is not a secret link. Just click the flag at the bottom-right of PayPal homepage. Doing a web search for PayPal with name of your country works too. It should detect by web beacon/ip but I dunno why it didn’t.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.