Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

MagicMadisan009
New Community Member

Can't sign in phone was stolen and unable to recover number

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MagicMadisan009 

If you go to the 'Help & Contact' icon on the PayPal website. Then if you click the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page. From here, if you click the 'Password and Account Access' option, then 'Login Problems'. On the next page, you will see a 'Call Us' option. You do not need to be logged in to use this feature.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DCbahamas
Contributor
Contributor

I can not log into my account because my log in could not be verified because my landline is my primary contact instead of my mobile number

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DCbahamas 

If you go to the 'Help & Contact' icon on the PayPal website. Then if you click the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page. From here, if you click the 'Password and Account Access' option, then 'Login Problems'. On the next page, you will see a 'Call Us' option. You do not need to be logged in to use this feature.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

billvm
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot access my account because I must provide a mobile phone number. There are many other members here that have the same problem. What is the resolution of this issue? None.

My bank, here in Canada, gives me the option of sending me an access number to log into my online banking account either through a mobile phone OR a landline.  Cannot PayPal do the same?

I am now obligated to buy a mobile phone which I will use only for the purpose of accessing my PayPal account and I must pay a carrier service each month for use of a mobile phone solely for accessing my PayPal account.

I cannot afford this option nor should it be the only option. Why did you not tell me in advance of this change in your TOS?  Why cannot you add the landline option wherein an automated call is made to my registered landline and an access number is given verbally?

Yes I called you and the lady was very polite and very helpful and very unable to change this new rule.  It is to protect my account.  So much so that not even I can access it.

Well, now it is fully protected. 

Who is in charge here?  We have a community but who hears us?  Who does PayPal answer to?

ADD THE LANDLINE OPTION

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@billvm 

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones when available (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

billvm
Contributor
Contributor
Hi kernowlass,

Thanks for the different options you have given to me. I did talk directly with a representative over the phone and she was adamant that I needed a mobile phone and it must be with a credited carrier; not a VOIP app.

I have neither Facebook nor Twitter but I could try the contact via this site or the chat function. Or send them an email. As you suggested.

But it comes down to why can they not offer the Landline option.  I cannot change their policy.  Will they listen to me? 

I need this service to purchase from Ebay.  I will also go there to post that I can no longer purchase from them because of this issue. 

And there is also the option of the Federal Trade Commission.  PayPal offers us a community to post complaints but their service borders on the dictatorial.  Customer-Friendly?  Hardly.

But your input and advice is appreciated and I thank you for replying.

Wishing you the best,

Bill
Login to Me Too

struja62
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Friends, 

I use PayPal long time ago.Before 2-3 year pay pal want to reset my pass , I dunno why cause have no any transactions and my landphone changed.

So the only option when I type pass on login page is go to reset pass.First time they asked me questions what I remember ,but isnt correct, so they dont care for Your money and just locked your account.I dont have option to login .The only option is recive call on landphone what I registerd first time.

I Write to them but without help.Now I use new acc and everything is ok.Hope maby have someone to help.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@struja62 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

struja62
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I sas try today call this number: [removed phone number] and got some message from bot, no one answer.Now here is 00:28 I go to sleep

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.