Why am I only allowed to create one security device for 2 factor authentication?

bpip
Contributor
Contributor

I want to utilize TWO Yubikeys so that I have a backup incase one is lost/stolen/breaks/etc. This is a VERY standard practice when using physical security devices like Yubikeys and as far as I've found, PayPal is the only service I'm using at the moment that hasn't allowed me to pair a a second YubiKey with my login for 2 factor authentication means. 

Am I missing something? Is there in fact a way to utilize a second key? I click on "add new device" just like before, but now I'm only presented the option of adding a phone number for SMS verification instead of the ability to pair a second physical security device... 

Login to Me Too
46 REPLIES 46

trechriron
Contributor
Contributor

Yes!! Please let us add more than one security device!! This is very frustrating.

Login to Me Too

bpip
Contributor
Contributor

There's no way we are the only ones with this issue. I've had this question posted here for weeks without reply. Kind of ridiculous really. EVERYONE using a physical security device SHOULD have a backup and SHOULD be using it for a service like PayPal, so I have no idea why there is not more questions about this...

Login to Me Too

Spanna336
Contributor
Contributor

I've had the same issue for 2 years now and when I phoned them up all they told me is try logging in again and again.  Surely there is some way of logging in because I have tried logging in again and again for the past 2 years and still the money of my subscriptions I don't want comes out of my bank account which I am unable to close coz its in debit.  I can't believe how unhelpful PayPal are!!

Login to Me Too

Spanna336
Contributor
Contributor

Plus I had to create another account to post this.  And I found some comments in the Archives folder but its restricted.  

Login to Me Too

sterkey25
Contributor
Contributor

I am just going to tag onto this one as I was setting up my key today. This is the first site I came across that only lets you register one key. That is very silly and needs to be corrected.

Login to Me Too

Marbellspa4
New Community Member

Need this functionality. 

I want to use my YubiKey for primary and backup, not have an authenticator app as a backup. 

PLUS - "Security keys only work on desktop devices" (from an error message on iphone).   

This is nonsense.  I use my YubiKey for authenticating on my iphone all the time. 

Can we get this sorted out please?

Login to Me Too

kitsune-chan
Contributor
Contributor

Seriously, @PayPal, please add an option to add additional security keys. Allowing just one key doesn't make sense at all. It's simply stupid.

Login to Me Too

svenhedlund

I can not understand this restriction, it's against common security practice!

Login to Me Too

JamesOfNY

I don't get this at all. Is there some reason why it would be difficult for PayPal to implement this? Many other services do. It would be great of someone from PayPal could enlighten us.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.