Who gave Paypal permission to send me verification codes via Whatsapp

Mft11
Contributor
Contributor

I always get the Paypal access verification codes by SMS. Today I suddenly get the code via Paypal's Whatsapp account instead. I never changed user settings on this matter and wasn't warned it was coming. Paypal agents out there, speak up: who authorised this? And if it's too embarrassing to mention who slipped up, answer the more important question: when are you integrating the option to choose between these methods?

Please don't answer by telling me it's 2021. We're dealing with monetary transactions here and we are customers of this transaction service; you clear these things with us first.

Thanks

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

Joeybabe1
Contributor
Contributor
Me too - is this right, or should we be worried ?
Login to Me Too

Mft11
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like they have now rightly integrated the option at the verification screen, with WhatsApp listed as the default option. Still, this should have been communicated beforehand.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Sean

Hello @Mft11, Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

We have implemented WhatsApp messaging as part of our SCA (Strong Customer Authentication). It is just like receiving a text message but is another option now when you log in. Receiving a text message is still an option on the login screen so you can now choose Whatsapp or a Text Message for authentication.

You can read more about this by clicking the below link.

What are the Payment Services Directives and Strong Customer Authentication? (paypal.com)

Thank you,

-Sean

Login to Me Too

Dinnages
Contributor
Contributor

The thing thats annoying to me I dont use whatsapp, so I want sms to be my default option and no whatsapp option required, it should not be assumed we all use it. The privacy concerns around that app, with instagrama nd facebook together means they all get linked up, depite they all so they dont, I get far too many suggestions to friend someone probably because all these apps connect.

How to turn off anything whats app related, it should be within paypal to say I do not use it.

Besides all that I get logged out after a time delay then have to be texted yet again to get back in when switching between applications on the PC for orders.

Dealer in transport books, badges, greeting cards and more
Login to Me Too

ficelles
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, I don't use whatsapp, don't have a whatsapp account, fed up with PayPal trying to authorise me through something that I don't even have.

Login to Me Too

WatchMan235
New Community Member

I do not and never will use Whatsapp on any of my workstations that I use to login to Paypal with, I also try to keep all banking and logins away from any mobile device as it's a huge security risk. My phone is basically used as a sat-nav, or for phone calls. I think sending text messages with codes to phones or random apps undermined the security of my account and in turn my money. Please remove the unwanted Whatsapp login. It might as well be sent to the Vegan club as that's another place I won't be using. But if you want your payments you had better send it to somewhere I can find it. Good Customer service goes a long way, and it's a huge fail on the Whatsapp. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @WatchMan235,

Thank you for your post in the PayPal Community Forum and welcome!

I'm sorry to hear that your account is currently configured in a way that you would not like it to be. For troubleshooting and account-specific assistance, please contact PayPal Customer Service

I hope this is resolved quickly for you!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Temp20230422B
Contributor
Contributor

I understand what you are saying, but why in my whatsapp page where PayPal is a contact is there a screenshot of one of my transactions?

Login to Me Too

lindy-loo
New Community Member
Its 2022 and i havr this problem! I had ehats app for a week, then closed the account and deleted it. Paypal still sens sms to my whats app! I never linked pp to whats app- its a security concern as WA gets hacked! To date it still had whats app as one of the “verify” options on my account. I asked paypal about this and explained the situation and i got fobbed off with them blaming whats app! The fact is paypal should not be linking any app etc to peoples paypal without oermission!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.