VAT number not recognised on identity confirmation form

dahamsta
Contributor
Contributor

Since my chat request went unanswered and my promised follow-up never appeared....

The first page of the form - "Let's confirm your business name and add some additional info" - is prefilled with my Irish VAT number without the "IE", for example 1111111A. Submitting that throws the error "Enter a valid Value Added Tax identification number (VAT)". Amending it to include the IE, for example IE1111111A, throws the same error. Newer VAT numbers have 2 letters at the end, but mine is valid. How do I go about correcting this so I can verify my identity as requested, all of a sudden and out of the blue for no apparent reason.

Alternatively, how do I close my account and get my €18.35 back? At this stage I'm just as happy to disable PayPal on my site and using Stripe exclusively, and recommend the same to my customers. Don't even get me started on the WordPress plugins....

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Wa6
Contributor
Contributor
Heard that PayPal is going out of business maybe that is why you not getting any response. Hope it not true but on the internet that is what is being said.
Login to Me Too

dahamsta
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds like complete nonsense. Do you have any evidence for that claim?

Login to Me Too

dahamsta
Contributor
Contributor
Anyone got anything actually useful to add?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @dahamsta,

Thank you for your post in the PayPal Community Forum, and welcome! I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty with entering your VAT number, and that you haven't received follow-up contact that was promised.

I regret that the type of troubleshooting that would need to happen is account-specific as requires the assistance of a representative. Please try reaching out to support again. Here are a few different ways to do so.

Regarding account closure, I sincerely hope that you'll reconsider. If you decide to continue with that course of action, you would have to withdraw any remaining balance, and follow these steps

I hope this information is helpful.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

dahamsta
Contributor
Contributor

The form would only work in Edge, which is just ridiculous.

I've already removed PayPal as a payment method on my website, and I'll be asking my customers to move to Stripe as their subscriptions expire. I'll be closing my account when that process is complete.

PayPal is a stagnant mess with appalling, useless customer service, it's only a matter of time before you Twitter out of it. Good riddance when it happens.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.