Using ITIN to register Business account instead of SSN

Vintagewagen
Contributor
Contributor

I need to get my new US business account verified but at one point it asks me for a SSN which as a non resident alien I don’t have and it won’t let me go any further. It won’t take my ITIN as my tax ID. Spent over an hour taking on the phone with 5 different people and had to explain over and over to get nowhere. Can anyone help? How do I use my ITIN to open the account? Thank you

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Vintagewagen 

File a complaint at bbb.org under PayPal San Jose, CA to discuss the matter with PayPal executive escalations office.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Vintagewagen 

File a complaint at bbb.org under PayPal San Jose, CA to discuss the matter with PayPal executive escalations office.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

echo214

does this work? thank you.

i am having the same issue and it's sooo frustrating. 

PayPal has very misleading info on the website that ITIN will work and i spent months and money to get it, but now it's a dead end using ITIN.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @erick_bao and @echo214,

Welcome to the Community, and thanks for posting your questions! 

I understand you'd like to use an ITIN rather than an SSN to create and verify a business account. When you first create a business account, you should have the option to select one or the other. It's possible that, due to how the account was originally created, the SSN was requested rather than the ITIN. Once that process is begun, it would likely not be able to be satisfied by providing the ITIN. If you have not started using the account regularly yet, starting over and creating a new account might be more beneficial. Please note that to operate a US business account, you must still reside in the US.

I hope this information helps; if you run into any other issues creating the account please don't hesitate reaching out to Customer Support by sending a DM on Twitter or Instagram or a PM on Facebook. Support may also be reached by clicking 'Contact' at the bottom of any PayPal webpage. 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

erick_bao
Contributor
Contributor

I've contact one of your colleague via PayPal Assistant, he send me a link(paypal.com/eebr) and let me upload my ITIN & ID documents to PayPal.

I've uploaded the documents, let's see will that solve this issue.

Login to Me Too

uksll
Contributor
Contributor

how did it go? thank you.

Login to Me Too

uksll
Contributor
Contributor

hi, thank you for the reply. but i have tried multiple times and it did not work.

i have never seen Paypal ask for itin first, it always asks for ssn.

can you pls be more specific, how can we enter the correct path?

'due to how the account was originally created' What does this even mean? how can we do it right?

thank you

Login to Me Too

uksll
Contributor
Contributor

Subject: Follow-Up on PayPal and ITIN Inquiry

Hi Megan,

I hope this message finds you well. I wanted to follow up on the matter we've been addressing for the past six months, during which I've made numerous attempts to contact PayPal.

The latest response I received from PayPal mentioned that the issue at hand is deemed a "technical issue," a characterization that I find somewhat perplexing.

Could you kindly provide us with a definitive response regarding PayPal's acceptance of ITIN? Your clarification on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention and assistance.

Login to Me Too

erick_bao
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have the exact same problem, did yours get resolved? Can PayPal accept an ITIN instead of an SSN to verify your business account?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.