Unknown contacts on my contact list

PickleRick7
Contributor
Contributor

I've only ever sent money to one person on my account. Sometime last week when I logged in to paypal, I noticed that there were several new contacts that I had no knowledge of. This strikes me as very weird. Who are they, where did they come from, and should I be worried? I'm going to contact my bank today to make sure there is no suspicious activity. My paypal account hasn't reported any unknown transactions, but I want to make sure everything is okay. I tried calling paypal, but all I got was the automated system which did not provide any answers for me. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Ashleekw82
Contributor
Contributor

This is happening to me too. I have no clue who these people are. they live in the same city as me, never sent them money. don't have their numbers, nothing. Did you ever figure out what this was about?

Login to Me Too

PFFred
Contributor
Contributor

I have never added or dealt with some of the contacts in my contact list.  Disturbing is an understatement!  Where did they come from?  Is paypal harvesting information?  I'm getting really concerned that PayPal can no longer be trusted with my accounts.

Login to Me Too

Ashleekw82
Contributor
Contributor
Right?! And have you ever even heard of any of these people?
Login to Me Too

Nanette61
New Community Member

Did you ever find out about those unknown contacts and if you did will you tell me how, was money sent to them? I have contacts that I have no idea who they are, how do I find out if money was sent to them and how did they get to be my "contacts". I am so freaked out, will be grateful for some help! Thank You!

Login to Me Too

PFFred
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I did.  One of the unknown IDs was for someone that sent me money (refund from a purchase) and the other was a person I sent money to, that I forgot about.     

Login to Me Too

Thorpie3
New Community Member

I could not see my bank balance this morning for Paypal was insisting that I add my contact that I didn't want to do. I was transferring money to my other account and I used my name. Wow the money went to another person with my 1st and Last name and A very different 2nd name. Someone that I do not know or spoken to. There are many new contact I the listing that I do not Know where they came from. I have much trouble contacting Paypal by phone so I sent a message. The reply was that no unauthorised payments took place. when I went to reply to this email [removed] bounced back 3 times. Communication is near impossible and Paypal appears to no longer to be a secure banking app. They need to act fast to safe guard from this ever happening again. Not happy with Paypal at this time. And it appears I have lost this money

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.