Unable to setup 2FA security key, did previously work...

Pete109
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Tried to get online help with this issue but PayPal now says must be a problem at my end, the security key I have works fine on my facebook account and was also working with PayPal, unfortunately I had to reset the key so that meant switching off the settings on PayPal and starting again; now I get an error msg saying "something has gone wrong" and worst still the key is shown as enabled on PayPal but in fact the setup page for key initialization has not been completed so the key is not setup / active.

All very frustrating and no way to get further help from what is now now  an IT issue requiring this type of intervention rather than saying its my problem?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @Pete109,

Welcome to our community forum and thank you for your post!

Sorry to hear that you're not able to set up 2-step security key. I would like to inform you that 2-step verification must be configured on a desktop computer. Set up is not available through the PayPal mobile apps. Here's how you can update the 2 step verification set up in your PayPal account. If the issue persists, you can reach out to our customer support team through the available contact options on our website.

I hope this helps, have a great day!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Pete109
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bindu,

Thxs for your response I've been through the setup process so many times plus no luck with PayPal customer support who say my key is to blame as 2FA is switched on from what they can see, but as I tried to explain if that were so I would have been requested to use it upon login.

Btw I'm using the security key without issue on FB, my best guess is the file on my PP account has been corrupted, I did ask for IT support but was told none was available.

While writing this post I went to activate the key again, same issue just as before, the screen where it states "enter your key" I get an error msg saying something has gone wrong, now the 2FA will be shown as enabled but I have not been able to activate the key properly and so its not on / enabled!

This can only be solved by IT support who I do not have access to, any help would be appreciated as I am going around in circles otherwise! 🙂

ps. I also get an email confirming 2FA is enabled its not!!

pps. There must be a log file that can be accessed to see if 2FA is called for upon my login?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.