“This type of phone number isn’t supported”

aws3939
Contributor
Contributor

I’m trying to link a bank account to my PayPal. I had to update my phone number (totally forgot and it was an old number that’s no longer in service). The new phone number I updated it to doesn’t show up when it gets to the part where it asks you to confirm your phone number, however it gives an option to add a number. I’ve tried multiple numbers but it gives me the same error every time “this type of phone number isn’t supported.” I’ve tried searching but I can’t find anyone besides one person who had the same error. It’s a real/normal phone number so I’m not sure what the issue is. I assume it has something to do with me just updating my number, however I’m not sure why it gives an option to add a new number to confirm my identity if it doesn’t work. 

Login to Me Too
49 REPLIES 49

Jsholl
Same thing after I get my money out I will not use PayPal again... been a week trying to get it withdrawn from my account and tried to send it through the card and says weekly balance is to high does this count incoming and outgoing? But yes after this I will no longer use PayPal there are much simpler and better money apps out there now with way less hassle.
Login to Me Too

Did you manage to fix it? I'm facing the same issue...

Login to Me Too

Kawaki0805
New Community Member
Same issue with me.. **bleep** thia paypal
Login to Me Too

ScottyAmesy
Contributor
Contributor

Well how frustrating. 

In my case it wanted me to verify my number, but that is my old number. I just got a new one, but they won't let me add that one. It's a legit mobile number, not a Voice over IP, but they keep saying  “This type of phone number isn’t supported” and provide no other way out. I thought I would be smart and just change my password. That surely would get me out of the loop. Nope. Once changed, I'm back to the same old thing.

No wonder eBay dropped them. This is ridiculous. 

Login to Me Too

bennyparlo
To be honest it is really a ridiculous feature of PayPal. But fortunately and lucky I sorted it out with a coincidence after I have tried a bunch of times. To be brief the story was that I met the same issue as all at present who posted or replied on this topic when I tried to link a secondary email address with my account. What the worthwhile to reminder is that my new email address to be linked is the one from AOL.com. At the beginning I logged on my AOL mailbox via safari browser to click the link for confirmation after I received the email for this tending from PayPal but without doubt I failed and failed. Ok then what the most interesting happened once when I tried to click the confirmation link from this email via AOL app to verify it was succeeded after logging on lol. So amazing and stupid. I still really cannot understand what happened on it since I have sorted out. Hope my this experience could help. Any question please write to me for further discussion.
Login to Me Too

rcastaneda
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same problem today. I tried to send money and the veritifcation came. I've two numbers verified on my account but it asked me to add a number. Weird thing.. However I tried adding my mobile number and it says `This type of phone number is not supported`.

Login to Me Too

Slissa
Contributor
Contributor
Did anyone get a resolution? Customer service has no idea and I'm aboit to lose my mind.
Login to Me Too

Kawaiidot
Did anyone figure this out?!
Login to Me Too

Ira_Felix
New Community Member
Never using again, scam.
Login to Me Too

Ira_Felix
New Community Member
I believe you guys don't want to send me my 5$ so you wanna say my # isn’t supported, just say you don’t want to give it to me stop lying and saying you can’t confirm my American #, thanks.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.