“This type of phone number isn’t supported”

aws3939
Contributor
Contributor

I’m trying to link a bank account to my PayPal. I had to update my phone number (totally forgot and it was an old number that’s no longer in service). The new phone number I updated it to doesn’t show up when it gets to the part where it asks you to confirm your phone number, however it gives an option to add a number. I’ve tried multiple numbers but it gives me the same error every time “this type of phone number isn’t supported.” I’ve tried searching but I can’t find anyone besides one person who had the same error. It’s a real/normal phone number so I’m not sure what the issue is. I assume it has something to do with me just updating my number, however I’m not sure why it gives an option to add a new number to confirm my identity if it doesn’t work. 

Login to Me Too
49 REPLIES 49

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aws3939 

Would help if you said whether it was a mobile or land line number?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

slscott15
Contributor
Contributor
I am having the exact same issue. It is a mobile number and the account is with PNC.
Login to Me Too

schouppe86
Same here!!
Login to Me Too

aws3939
Contributor
Contributor

It’s a mobile number. I talked to customer service and they couldn’t fix the issue either. Just kept trying to do an override which didn’t work. I ended up just linking the card rather than the actual bank because it didn’t ask me to verify my phone. 

Login to Me Too

slscott15
Contributor
Contributor
After waiting a day, I called the automated line and was able to add my bank account manually. I wonder if there is a security measure in place that prevents the adding of a bank account when personal information has been recently changed. I would try again in a day or two.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aws3939 

Landline or mobile phone?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Zerosevn
Contributor
Contributor
Mobile, Verizon
Login to Me Too

FryStreet
Me too. I don't have access to my old number, and it won't accept my new Mint Mobile number for verification purposes. Heck, PayPal won't even let me remove my old number from my account profile, even though it's not listed as my primary number. This is just the latest in a series of problems I've had with PayPal. And the last I will tolerate.
Login to Me Too

Janboblarry
New Community Member
Same here.. I found how to delete the old # i even added my current 207 # and now it says please give us a phone number to send. security BS to it is blank. They have an option that says call me instead it says please provide # and i do it says the number isnt supported that is linked to my account.. What the hell? Do you know of any other places to send money internationaly? Because this is some BS.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.