Sideways Profile Photo Upload

SR71_JR
Contributor
Contributor

Opening a new thread because this issue has not been resolved.

Every time I attempt to set a new PayPal profile photo, the picture upload is rotated 90 degrees clockwise. 
I have tried:
- Uploading from Windows 10
- Uploading from the Android app
- Uploading using a different internet connection
- Uploading from different media sources (my windows 10 desktop, my MEGA cloud drive, a flash drive)
- Uploading different photos (I've tried dozens, they all rotate)

I'm at my wit's end here. I just want my profile picture to be right-side-up. PayPal, PLEASE fix this!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @SR71_JR,

I'm sorry to hear that the profile pictures you're uploading are oriented the wrong way when you upload them! There are a few things I can thing of that may have an impact.

If the camera that was used is one that auto-rotates when it takes the picture, it's possible that the metadata in the image is incorrectly indicating which way the image should be rotated. If you edit and then save the picture in an image editing program on your computer or a phone, that may change the metadata and solve the problem.

If the image is larger than 300x300 pixels, the system may be having a problem with the image.

If the image is oblong and not square, the system may be having a problem with the image.

I think if you edit the image and crop it square at a size of 300x300 and save it in an image editing program, that may solve whichever problems are happening. Please let me know if that does the trick!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @SR71_JR,

I'm sorry to hear that the profile pictures you're uploading are oriented the wrong way when you upload them! There are a few things I can thing of that may have an impact.

If the camera that was used is one that auto-rotates when it takes the picture, it's possible that the metadata in the image is incorrectly indicating which way the image should be rotated. If you edit and then save the picture in an image editing program on your computer or a phone, that may change the metadata and solve the problem.

If the image is larger than 300x300 pixels, the system may be having a problem with the image.

If the image is oblong and not square, the system may be having a problem with the image.

I think if you edit the image and crop it square at a size of 300x300 and save it in an image editing program, that may solve whichever problems are happening. Please let me know if that does the trick!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

SR71_JR
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @PayPal_Olivia,

Making the image 300 x 300px worked for me.

I think PayPal should update the words on the screen when a user wants to change their profile photo. Currently, it says images LARGER than 300px work best (see below screenshot), which is contrary to what you told me. I manually set my image to 300 x 300px and now it no longer rotates. This is honestly an unnecessary step that users should not have to do - unless PayPal specifies that when you upload or change the photo, which they currently do not. Thanks for your help.

Capture.PNG

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @SR71_JR,

Thank you for coming back to let me know the outcome! I appreciate the feedback about the photo upload process.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

rahrishka
New Community Member

Nope not doing all that...looks like no profile pic. ok.

Login to Me Too

SeamusSeamus
New Community Member

i had the sideways photo problem on my venmo account pic.  i rotated the image 90, 180, 270 degrees.  never could get it upright!  ha ha.  I found this solution 🙂

I turned off auto rotate on my phone settings, and voila: photo is now correctly oriented.  thanks!!!  kudos to Olivia!  It's that meta data that is the fly in the ointment.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.