Shut off auto login in?

pwcopy
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal has started sending me to check out without asking me to log in. How do I shut this off? I never want to make a payment without logging in. Many thanks for your help, PW

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

Temp20211215b
New Community Member
Ive been getting the same thing, 'sorry something went wrong' banks should never have something like this enabled and then of all things not have a way to disable it
Login to Me Too

prusso

Same problem here. It won't let me turn off auto login. I keep getting the same message.

Login to Me Too

Autologinbites
Contributor
Contributor

Yes.

I've called. They give you the run around. I've email. No help there.

PayPal must think that if people stay logged in, they will use the service more often, and decided that it's better for them, but not you, if you can't turn it off.

They don't care about their users.

Login to Me Too

ChrisW36
New Community Member

It gets worse.  After a transaction today, I got an email from PayPal with the subject "Stay logged in on this trusted device".  Here's the text:

"Since we recognize this device, you’ll continue to stay logged in, so you can skip typing your password during certain activities such as check out."

They turned on Auto Login.  Without my permission.  Some idiot marketing expert says, "Hey, if they don't have to log in, they'll use PayPal more!".  And they buy it.  I say, "Hey, if you turn on Auto Login without my permission, I'm going to dump you like a visit to the toilet after that dinner that tasted 'off'." 

So, what... PayPal has cameras and mics in my house and KNOWS this is a trusted device?  Bull hockey!  (yeah, I know, only cuz I don't want this deleted.)  Hey, PayPal, ARE YOU FREAKING <removed>?  (oops.. there goes that..)  You Do Not Make The Decision whether my 'device' is trusted or not.  You Do Not turn on Auto Login WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.  This is a total violation of the security of my account.  Buy a freakin' clue - Your stock prices would go up if you cared more about security than your net worth.

Login to Me Too

MsRant
Contributor
Contributor

I am with all in this thread, sadly.

Recently I got a new phone, and first use of it I get..."oh, this is a recognized device"  no, it's not, and it turned on auto login, even though I have off for all devices checked.

Now, here's the great part...  I go to Customer Service (that term is a joke) AGAIN, and say, hey, this isn't working, AGAIN.  And what is the solution??  Have you already tried clearing your cache and cookies on your browser, after the feature has been disabled? Sometimes the accumulated data within the browser itself can have this result. 

-.-  Im not violent, but really at this point, I would like to slap someone.  Again, as it seems this is now normal for any customer service, no one is reading/listening....did ya notice the part THIS IS A NEW PHONE?!?!?!!?  How is it that my DESKTOP cache is having anything to do WITH A NEW PHONE???? 

And now, today, I went to make a purchase.  And its BACK ON  😞  Logged me in, so I went and paid, and checked my settings again, still "off for all devices"  So, I thought trying here would be a change, cause Customer Service/the developers have no intention of helping, but I guess we are all in that boat.  I am seriously considering ending this account, but there are a couple things I actually NEED it for.  I don't know what to do, I just cannot trust this.

Login to Me Too

Pablo851
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a solution to this yet?  I am getting emails every time I purchase something  - even for devices that I did not use to purchase.  I then have to log in and manually turn off every time!   

Login to Me Too

HoneyBe
Contributor
Contributor

It's unbelievable that this is still an issue. I also got the runaround from the mostly useless "Help" (and now can't even find where they moved the Messages page to). After getting the always-wrong auto answer and asking again, the reps didn't even know what I was talking about. This should NOT be acceptable especially for a service where money is involved. PayPal, STOP ENABLING AUTO LOG IN WITHOUT THE USERS' PERMISSION!

Login to Me Too

LavaTraction
Contributor
Contributor

I have called and spoken to a live person on Paypal twice, and messaged them numerous times about the undesirability of Auto Login. When I speak to a person, they always deny that they turn it on.  Recently, immediately after a purchase, they have begun sending me an email telling me they have turned it on and they provide a button to turn it off (They know nobody wants it on).  What I do now right after purchasing something is to immediately log into my paypal account, go to Settings > Security > scroll down to Auto Login and click "Update." I make sure it's off. 

Login to Me Too

MsRant
Contributor
Contributor
I have filed a complaint with the FTC. This is ridiculous, and dangerous to financial information. If they cannot keep it "off" when it says, they should just disable that system. This IS a KNOWN issue, I have spoken with Management, Techs, Customer Service, they KNOW, they said they've known for quite some time, and oh well, they'll get around to it, basically, they are doing NOTHING.
Login to Me Too

Temp20211215

I am having same issue, when I do settings/security/ manage logins. I have deleted all except windows 10, it will not allow that to be deleted,,,,,,,,,,So my system is not secure. The only way I find to resolve it is clear cookies every time, not the way it should be at all

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.