Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,979 REPLIES 4,979

Nacoran
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, trying this again... question seems to have disappeared...

I went to log into my Paypal today.  I entered my username and password, which takes me to a screen that asks for a mobile phone number.  I don't have a mobile phone (I use a combination of my landline, Google Voice, Discord, etc.  I have Google Voice number but it won't accept that, despite the fact I've had it for years).  I think, after talking with support, my payment, at least, is going through, and my autopay is working, but I can't log into my account to access anything else.  The "can't log in " feature assumes I can't remember my password, and will let me reset that, but I still end up stuck at that phone number screen.  I'm fine with providing other verification, and they have my home phone number on file, but it can't receive texts (the Google Voice can, but again, they won't accept that).  I'm at a loss.  How to I get them to restore access to my account without a mobile phone?  (Which I don't need and really can't afford since it's otherwise non-essential for me).

Login to Me Too

Jackie154
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. 1st of all, this is a newly created account to ask for help about my main account. Im from Ukraine, but currently in Poland. My phone number is from UA, recently they just shut it down without any SMS/notices etc so i wasnt able to change my number in PayPal account settings and now when im trying to login my main PP account i need to enter SMS code which was send to not working UA mobile number and i cant login forum, change pass etc cos everytime PP wants mobile number which isnt working anymore. Can i somehow login my PP account and change my phone number fomr UA to phone number from PL (where i currently live because of war...)?? Any help please, thanks  in advance.

Login to Me Too

GenriGuff
Contributor
Contributor
Hello! I lost my telephone and now PayPal ask me to confirm my number, but I can't( Help me please in this situation. I can tell you my e-mail, my last transactions and the answers of the security questions. I can't call to contact center cause now I'm in another country.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GenriGuff 

Log out of all accounts.   

Go to https://www.paypal.com/fr/smarthelp/contact-us      

Click “Call Us” option under the “Common Issues’ section.   

Click “call us as guest” link to get PayPal contact numbers.   

Ask for an agent until they connect you with one to report lost phone.

Or reach out to PayPal at Facebook or Twitter:    

PayPal on Facebook

PayPal on Twitter

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Moatazy
New Community Member
I changed primary phone that I don’t have any by adding another now when I log in it ask to send code to the old no
Login to Me Too

Jambezi
Contributor
Contributor
I can't log into my account as I have 2fa and it's connected to an old phone number Due to work and family commitments I can't call PayPal about this - is there any way to resolve this via email?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jambezi 

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, (during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out).
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

tomassaklo
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. Can not call and when I enter correct account email and password, my old phone is enforced to be used.

I have tried to contact PayPal on Facebook, however there is AI chat which does not understand my request.

What is the solution of this?

Thanks for help,

Tomas

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tomassaklo 

All the options to contact customer services are in my first post.

If you have tried all of them and can't get through then sadly nothing much else we can do for you on this forum. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jambezi
Contributor
Contributor
Unfortunately, I didn't get anywhere with this issue. After some conversations, they still want me to call - didn't really offer any other solutions. If your account is empty they can close it for you, but mine had a minimal amount in it so I was unable to take that route either.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.