Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,948 REPLIES 4,948

ThisDudeAbides2
New Community Member

I am travelling in Thailand and the moment, but I'm originally from Europe. Naturally, my European phone number is coupled to the account, however, this phone number is useless in Asia because I don't get any reception on it anywhere. When Paypal prompted me to do a text verification on that number, I was unable to do so obviously. Luckily, I was still able to log in to the app so I changed my primary phone number to the Thai number that I use here.

The reason I need browser paypal access and not just app paypal access is because online payments DO NOT forward you to the app - they just keep asking me to log in to my paypal on the browser.

Alas, for 2 days now I've tried to login to the browser, but it just keeps saying 'unable to verify it's you' where it would normally ask for the text verification. 

One more thing: Incredible how poorly this is managed by paypal and that you are basically just **bleep**ed if you don't have access to your original phone number at all times. Contacting paypal has also been a hassle, I can't chat with them, can't mail them, can't even call them because it's some crazy local number that I have no way of calling from here. I keep reading on their page how amazing, widespread and fast paypal is, how about you get your **bleep** together and start helping people more effectively? Anyway that's my rant, please help me. 

Login to Me Too

ktoan
New Community Member

I am currently have this exact issue! Changed my mobile number and *BOOM* 'unable to verify it's you'. Had my acc for 6 years too. Somehow login to this comunity forum is not an issue though!?

Login to Me Too

ThisDudeAbides2
New Community Member

Yeah, I noticed that too. I guess the community center is a separate service which I has different security requirements. Let me know if you find a solution! I will do the same. 

Login to Me Too

scotay2
New Community Member

Hi

I do not have access to my old mobile number to complete authentication on login.

Even though i have password i just go round in circles as each time i ask paypal for help it prompts me to get an SME or call to a number i dont have anymore.

How can i resolve this?

Login to Me Too

jamiecamham
New Community Member

Hello there. My account had an old phone number of mine and I called the help line and it had said old number removed. I now cannot add a new number since I do not have access to my account without a number to verify myself. Every robot i speak to just loops my questions.

I am willing to speak to anyone that can help me get access to my account and/or remove Authentication so I can add my new number.

Login to Me Too

Loyokenz
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys, trying to update my password but I don't access to the phone number on file anymore. Can someone help? Thanks

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Loyokenz 

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, (during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out).
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SilverZenitH
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the feedback in the meantime i will try contact paypal support through twitter cuz i cant roaming call to Paypal call centre directly thank you in advance.

Login to Me Too

Loyokenz
Contributor
Contributor

SilverZenitH
Contributor
Contributor

I cant login to my PayPal account because I don't receive SMS verification Code and it been 1 month already, i can receive all the verification Code from other Application and it seems i only didn't receive on PayPal even though i try to register new PayPal account with my current phone number, i still didn't receive the SMS verification code, Please any help would be appreciated.  My account that i cant enter is the other one not this one TY.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.