Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number changed - can't log in

Options
Go to solution
Andrew0906
New Community Member

Its ok saying all the above PayPal employee, BUT the problem is getting into the account by trying to pass the authentication page with the old phone number that we CAN NOT up-date on our settings, because we can not get passed the authentication page... we are going round & round in circles PayPal...this needs fixing ASAP... Why is there no link to an email on the authentication page, so we can enter our account, then we can change the mobile number once in, then you can send a code to the new mobile number so you know who it is....simple!! it's not rocket science. please help we Meer humans that want to access our Paypal account...

Options
Go to solution
Almo1950
Contributor

I cannot log in because PayPal is trying to verify me by messaging an old mobile phone number which does not exist anymore...

Options
Go to solution
lizsammyo
Contributor
HOW CAN I RECEIVE MY MONEY THAT I GOT FROM SELLING ON EBAY. IT WAS SENT TO THE OLD PAYPAL ACCOUNT AND I DONT HAVE THE OLD PHONE NUMBER. I CANT GO INTO SETTINGS IF I CANT LOG IN

Options
Go to solution
jedelmania

I just had this issue and managed to find a workaround.

Do a password reset. It will automatically send a code to your email address. Once you have changed your password, you'll be able to log in without being forced to use the phone number. You can then change the phone number on your profile or disable 2 factor authentication.

Options
Go to solution
londonerese
Contributor

Sorry, @jedelmania ,  but your method doesn't seem to work in my case. When I ask to reset my password, nothing is sent to my email automatically. I end up with the info that they need additional information to confirm it's me, and they insist on confirming my phone number, which is obviusly no longer valid, or even active. Also, I tried to contact PayPal via their Facebook site - no response. I am no longer a UK resident, and I still cannot close my UK Paypal account due to the darn inactive phone number, which is linked to my UK account. I even contacted PayPal team in my current country of residence, but they replied that I have to solve my problem via the British PayPal help centre. Losing hope... Can anyone help???

Options
Go to solution
Arcansel
Contributor
Same problem here, how does paypal expect us to login with old phone numbers? Even worse why not have a diferent autentication method? As in sending the autentication code to another email like some other companies do??? My account is going to be force closed because i cant login...what a disaster.

Options
Go to solution
londonerese
Contributor

Are you absolutely sure your account is going to be force closed as a result of you not being able to log in? I personally wouldn't mind if that was the only drawback of the situation of not being able to get verified via the no-longer active phone number. However, I'm worried that from 16 December (change in  PayPal Terms & Conditions) they will start taking the inactivity fee off my bank account linked to the PayPal account as a result of me not being able to log in and show any activity on it. And that is where this vicious circle has its evil loop...

Options
Go to solution
Arcansel
Contributor
I solved my problem, go to this link https://www.paypal.com/signin?returnUri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.paypal.com%2Fmyaccount%2Fsettings&state=%2... Login in your account if it asks for your phone number after that repaste the link above and enter it, if everything goes okay you should reach your account settings and change your phone number to be able to acess your paypal funds section of your account.

Options
Go to solution
londonerese
Contributor

Thankyouthankyouthankyouuuuuuu! It worked. You proved more effective than any of them PayPal community advisors / administrators. Stay cool 🙂

Options
Go to solution
Arcansel
Contributor
I m glad it worked i was afraid it could work only for me, it seems that paypal separates the account settings from the usual fund management section we are so used to work with for some reason and as far i know it s not explained anywhere how to acess it in these situations i would advise paypal to do something about it to make it easier and clearer for people to acess their account settings instead of their usual login section to deal with similar problems in the future and to revise their authentification method to prevent these situations.

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.