cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number changed - can't log in

Options
entact
Contributor

Hi @kernowlass, I wasn't slating you personally or your efforts to help, just highlighting that the issue is far from SOLVED, and it is up to PayPal, not users on a community forum, to solve it.

Thank you for the ownership update. I now see from Wikipedia that their 'agreement' ended last year, and they're now entirely separate entities. My mistake is perhaps understandable as PayPal still comes up as the default payment method on eBay transactions. Must be a glitch.

I was asking about other companies partly as a snub to the PayPal brand, obviously, and partly because I guessed that eliciting recommendations on a user community would be more informative than Googling. Perhaps you could suggest one?

Options
Acquisitions
Contributor

@entact 
I've filed a formal complaint with the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) - just a couple days ago, so I don't know if they will respond.

I don't believe that PayPal can get away with arbitrarily blocking access to people's accounts just because PayPal didn't think through the verification problems for those who have complied, but lost their phones. For those who have been regularly by-passing the 2nd step with no problem, only to one day find themselves locked out with no warning, it seems like a deliberate step by PayPal to punish people who don't want to allow PayPal access to their phones.

I had a PayPal 'support' person point to a page in the legal documentation that vaguely suggests that we agreed to this because it says that PayPal can deny access if they can't verify identity. Can't see this holding up in court, but "I'm not a lawyer"

Options
entact
Contributor

Or those who had a landline as a contact number which cannot process one-time passcodes. The situation for me is a time-sapping inconvenience. If they were holding money in my account I would definitely be taking legal steps. Good luck with your challenge, but I suspect they are a law unto themselves and the only way to make them address this is by reputational shaming.

Options
Mummy141621
New Community Member

Hi I'm not able to change my number as when I log in it still has my old number it asks to text me or have them call me but it's a old number so I cannot get past this stage what do I do ? 

Options
EagleOn
Contributor

Good afternoon.

I ask for help in solving the problem:
My account is registered in Romania.
at the moment I am abroad (Moldova)
I can't call the phones offered at the help center.
For a long time (about a year) did not use the services of PayPal. During this time I changed my mobile number.
For unknown reasons, I can't enter my account (I reset/change my password several times)
Of the available services for communication - Viber.

grateful in advance for the advice

Options
kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor

@EagleOn 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts / cancel any subscriptions and close the old Paypal account before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

Options
EagleOn
Contributor

Good afternoon.

In fact, according to the documents filed with the PayPal, I did not change either my place of residence or my place of residence (I was always in Moldova).
Account registered in Romania, But in the city of Chisinau (Moldova)
Only the mobile number and IP number have changed.
Support only offers a call to a number in Romania that I can't make.

More Thanks again for any help

Options
Bi_zu
New Community Member

Hi. How do I access my paypal account if I changed my mobile number ? I cannot cause of the 2way verification . Thanks.

Options
PayPal_Ayesha

Hello @Bi_zu,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for your post.

I am sorry to know that you're unable to access your PayPal account and understand that the old phone number doesn't exist. Unfortunately, it is not currently possible to log in to your PayPal account without a mobile phone number attached to your account. The best way to resolve this issue is by contacting our customer service so that one of our advisors can assist you further. Please contact customer service by clicking contact at the bottom of the PayPal website to see the contact options.

I hope this helps.

Ayesha

Options
Acquisitions
Contributor

Guess what, @PayPal_Ayesha --

If you're locked out of your account, the only option is the phone, and none of those people can help!

This is an absolute garbage policy that makes zero sense -- if PayPal is going to insist that we add a mobile number to use the account, how are we going to add the mobile number if we are LOCKED OUT OF THE ACCOUNT?

Do any of you follow through a thought to its logical conclusion - because this one ends at a brick wall.

Useless and infuriating.

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.