Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,985 REPLIES 4,985

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lewjam 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts / cancel any subscriptions and close the old Paypal account before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones when available (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jtd281100
Contributor
Contributor
I can’t login at all so don’t know how to change number I’ve got a new phone and broken old one
Login to Me Too

Daniel_L1
New Community Member

Hi, I'm trying to access an account from a number of years ago and the two factor authentication is trying to call my previous house number which is now disconnected.

I've called PayPal and they're asking for the last 4 digits of the card or bank account, the problem is this is from almost 10 years ago and I don't have the info, I know the password for the account and all of the other security details but its like they're reading from a script telling me to set up a new account! 

Has anybody got any experience of sorting this?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Dagemar
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem in France, I cannot modify or update to my new phone number as the authentication process wants to send me a message to my old number, what’s the point in that?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_MariaI

Hello, @Daniel_L1!

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community!

I am sorry to hear that you do not have access to your account. However, you need understand that in order to help you, we need to ask you some questions to verify your identity. If you are unable to provide the requested information, we will not be able to validate the call and help you regain access to your account. In this case, it is best to create a new account. 

I hope this information helps. 

Regards, 

María. 

Login to Me Too

Massivetrouble
New Community Member

i do not wish to add a mobile number to my account, and i cannot log in without one. is there a way to log in without adding a mobile?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Massivetrouble 

You need to have a mobile (not landline) phone issued in your country and registered in just your name verified on your Paypal account to continue accessing your Paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

khindall
Contributor
Contributor

I am disabled. I cannot use phones.

It's not a hearing issue, so text/Chat is not the solution. I am autistic and speed is the issue. I cannot process and respond quickly enough to make sure neurotypicals do not take advantage of me. It happens even without their realizing it. For instance, I ended up being held to "agreements" when I hadn't made them, I'd just been bulldozed. And of course, no one believes me after the fact. So, to level the playing field, I've slowed neurotypicals to my speed by getting rid of my phone.

I used to have a phone anyway, but neurotypicals would not accept that using my number was only for situations that I would consider an emergency and their mere convenience was not one. I have an e-mail address and a secure fax line. They must use those. In the United States, a phone without a service provider can still call 911, so that's not a concern. (Yes, it does work. I needed help once, and I did get  911 on a phone without a provider.)

One of my credit cards (Chase) did this to me, too, and I wrote them and sent them accounts of times neurotypicals did not understand me and how it was from my point of view. It took them months to solve the problem, but now I can have the log-in code sent to my e-mail address if I wish.

I grant it's the first time a company has respected my limitations, but I feel that's overdue rather than otherwise. I need a way to contact PayPal that will allow me to resolve this issue. That all the available paths are via phone is a blatant violation of my civil rights. There is no one to phone for me (autistics do not maintain relationships well), but I should not have to have such a person. I am not incompetent. I should be allowed to handle my own affairs without needing any third party.

So I need a way to contact PayPal without a phone.

Any usable suggestions would be appreciated. Please don't tell me to get a phone or have someone else call. I have already addressed those options above.

My apologies for the length of the post.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@khindall 

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones when available (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

khindall
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

Right here is the problem.

I explain, but it's so alien to the experience of the average neurotypical, they don't get it.

Chat is real time. I said right off that text/Chat was a no-go.

I do not have a phone. I said that right off, too. So PayPal cannot phone me. Not even 911 can. (I can call them, but not vice versa.) My fax line is data only.

I could find no way to "send them a message" that did not involve Chat or a phone. Could you elaborate on what you mean?

Twitter and Facebook are far too fast and complicated for me to cope with. I did try Facebook for about a year, but I couldn't keep track of what was going on, so I closed my account. I took one look at a Twitter page, recognized that I'd never manage, and didn't sign up.

Should I post one of my accounts of events from my point of view when neurotypicals really didn't get it? I had to give Chase two.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.