Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

Fadafida
New Community Member

So, I made my PayPal account long ago, and now when I want to login they say that I have to verify with my phone number and the problem is that I don’t use that phone number anymore. I have a new one now and I don’t have that old one… what do I do to login…?!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Fadafida 

If you go to the 'Help & Contact' icon on the PayPal website. Then if you click the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page. From here, if you click the 'Password and Account Access' option, then 'Login Problems'. On the next page, you will see a 'Call Us' option. You do not need to be logged in to use this feature.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Malvina5345
New Community Member

hello, I have serious trouble to log in into my account. it demands double confirmation with my phonenumber but i lost it, I blocked it and now Im not able to get into my account, because I cant see the confirmation numbers from your message and neither are you able to reach me on my phone. pls help me

Login to Me Too

jmarc_38
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

hello @Malvina5345 

the security procedure by mobile and the code received is compulsory.

he answer to your question is present many times on the subject

sim card lost or not, without valid mobile number, you need to contact paypal customer service.

Due to the fact that you do not have access to your old phone number, you will need to contact our telephone support team.

Please go to the PayPal home page and
1. Go to the Contact Us page: https://www.paypal.com - contact us
2. Select Password and account access
3. Select Connection issues

or

during working days and hours of operation

by messaging from paypal, by phone, and also on Facebook and Twitter (PayPal customer service is present above)

on paypal:

- at the bottom of the Help And Contact page

then at the bottom of the page that opens "contact us" (on the right) and finally, still at the bottom right: "call us"

if you are having trouble joining paypal, you can do so on twitter and facebook.

paypal is present on both. all you have to do is "send a private message"

( https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter. )

Login to Me Too

HelloWorldCo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.
I have no access to my phone number, but I have full access to my account email address ... when I'm trying to log into my account, I see PSD2 page with

Only "phone verification" option !!!! Even when I try to pay .... I contacted the Support department in Facebook and nothing !

Login to Me Too

koprisch
Contributor
Contributor

I currently reside outside of the US. This means I don't have a US phone number. My US bank account is already connected to my US paypal account, but I can't transfer money from my bank account to my paypal simply because paypal can't text me. From my current, non-US mobile device, I can log into my paypal account, see my balance, send money. The compulsory mobile phone verification policy is unacceptable. I don't live in the US right now, but I'm still a US citizen with a US bank account and a US paypal. Why can't email or a non-US phone number suffice for verification? It certainly can't just be for security purposes, at least not for mine. I can for example, do my US banking online without my bank insisting on a mobile phone verification. What is the deal? Why is such a reasonable request such an impossible obstacle?

Login to Me Too

jmarc_38
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

hello @koprisch 

an email is not secure. anyone can create one without justifying their identity.
for paypal, you will need a valid and active number on your paypal account.

contact paypal customer service to try to resolve your location problem with them.

or

by messaging from paypal, by phone, and also on Facebook and Twitter (PayPal customer service is present above)

on paypal:

then at the bottom of the page that opens "contact us" (on the right) and finally, still at the bottom right: "call us"

if you are having trouble joining paypal, you can do so on twitter and facebook.

Login to Me Too

Muffy22
Contributor
Contributor

The number on there is no longer working. I want to put a bee number which is my mobile number

Login to Me Too

jmarc_38
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

hello @Muffy22 

the security procedure by mobile and the code received is compulsory.

he answer to your question is present many times on the subject

sim card lost or not, without valid mobile number, you need to contact paypal customer service.

Due to the fact that you do not have access to your old phone number, you will need to contact our telephone support team.

Please go to the PayPal home page and

or

on paypal:

Login to Me Too

rossmacewan
New Community Member

Dear staff,

Somebody has sent a payment to my PayPal account but I cannot access it because I do not have the phone number required for 2 step verification. It is my mother's old home phone number which she changed around 12-13 years ago. Please can you help me either disable this 2 step verification or change the phone number for receiving the code to my current mobile number?

Best regards,

Ross MacEwan

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.