Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

Muffins1
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. I've been using PayPal for so long that they only have two old landlines of mine on file. When this new 2-step verification thing comes up because they want to send a verification code to my mobile, it tries to send it to these old landlines that I don't have anymore. I can't even update my numbers because I'm locked out because of the verification thing. My email hasn't changed however, so why can't they send a verification code via email like everyone does since forever?

I've had to switch over to using credit/debit cards for payments, which is fine except not everyone accepts cards.

Phone help? Some of us are complete introverts and the very idea of talking to someone over a phone about some difficult problem really stresses us out. Just have an emal option!

I suspect a big chunk of PayPal's users have been (permanently?) locked out of their accounts by this. However, it's not 2005 anymore so there are lots of alternative payment methods these days.

Login to Me Too

Sph62
Contributor
Contributor

I can’t login in my PayPal account because I had changed my new phone number is <Removed> and please let me know? Your faithfully mr s p <Removed>

Login to Me Too

jgolding
New Community Member

I can't get past the new authentication screen as i have a new mobile phone number & the only 2 methods being offered to contact me are via text and phone call to my old mobile number. Any idea how i can update my mobile number?

Login to Me Too

R2R86
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem!

Not using PayPal for 3 years. And the phone number that I used in the past and put in the account information has now gone to someone else. Now I cannot go through the login procedures

Login to Me Too

R2R86
Contributor
Contributor

Simply CALL to support. Have complite this problem very fast and professional! Best regards to support 

Login to Me Too

Olivet3
New Community Member
I need help, I have a pay pal account but my old phone number is on that account, so upon attempting to log in it sends me a verification code to my phone which I no longer have. Please help
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Olivet3 

If you go to the 'Help & Contact' icon on the PayPal website. Then if you click the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page. From here, if you click the 'Password and Account Access' option, then 'Login Problems'. On the next page, you will see a 'Call Us' option. You do not need to be logged in to use this feature.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

idawood
Contributor
Contributor

I have a new phone number but my PayPal account has my previous mobile number that PayPal system uses to send the code but this number does not exist anymore. How do I change my old number with the new number?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@idawood 

https://www.paypal.com/qa/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-add%2C-edit-or-remove-a-phone-number-faq947?app...

However if you can't log in then........

If you go to the 'Help & Contact' icon on the PayPal website. Then if you click the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page. From here, if you click the 'Password and Account Access' option, then 'Login Problems'. On the next page, you will see a 'Call Us' option. You do not need to be logged in to use this feature. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Wappa56
Contributor
Contributor
Ye their seems to be a big deal about this
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.