Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

Angel1946
Contributor
Contributor

Please refer to jmilby's reply.  This is the correct fix to your problem as well as mine!  Just enter your landline phone number where is says "mobile number" and click on "Call with the code."

Login to Me Too

woogersam
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, I will try it. I messaged PayPal on Twitter and told them I will close my account before I will buy a Cellphone and commit to an $80. to $100. monthly bill for a Cellphone I would never use, just for PayPal. How can they be so stupid and intransigent?

Login to Me Too

kmikec
New Community Member

as of 2 days ago I can't access my paypal account, and I cannot reach a human for help.  it started when paypal suddenly required that I get a verification code via cell phone text buy I have a mexican phone number!!!!  I've been trying to reach an agent!!!  All the voice prompts from the help desk tell me to 'contact the help center on line' but I can't log in!!!!! can anyone please help??????

\

Login to Me Too

Angel1946
Contributor
Contributor

Please refer to jmilby's reply.  This is the correct fix to your problem as well as mine!  Just enter your landline phone number where is says "mobile number" and click on "Call with the code."

PayPal customer support is useless!  They don't have an understanding of how their platform or app works. 😞

Login to Me Too

woogersam
Contributor
Contributor

I tried using my land line phone and hitting "Call with Code", and it worked fine. A verbal recording called my land line and gave me a 4 digit access code to enter on my computer to unlock my account. Thanks to all for the suggestion.

After logging in, I went to my Settings page, found my land line number, listed as my "Primary Mobile", and I hit "Change" to uncheck the two preference boxes that 1) allow Robocalls from PayPal and 2) allow Texting from PayPal. Then, I hit the "Done" bar at the bottom to save the changes. Unchecking these is necessary to keep PayPal from discovering that the number is not a mobile number.

Login to Me Too

Angel1946
Contributor
Contributor

wow woogersam!  Thanks for that info!  I never looked into my settings and would never know that the default includes texting and other methods of calling.  Thanks so much, I followed your excellent instructions and unchecked both boxes!

Very valuable info!

Login to Me Too

Richárd
Contributor
Contributor
I just cant login to THIS account cause the verification, thats okay, but the point is that i contacted the help center and wrote in messenger, and they just wont help me, only via phone call?!? I cant and i wont call them for the reasons: 1. I just cant speak english 2.i live in europe and the call is VERY expensive. In this point i just cant bealive they cant help me via live chat, i have every information just cant talk!!! Is this a joke?
Login to Me Too

Angel1946
Contributor
Contributor

I'm so very sorry your situation is much worse than mine was!

I googled and found this info.  I sure hope it works for you!

[removed]

[removed]

[removed]

methods
[removed]
[removed]
[removed]

[removed]

You can contact PayPal by phone or e-mail. Either process will be easiest if you log into your PayPal account before beginning, but you can still get in touch with customer service even if you are unable or unwilling to do so.

Login to Me Too

Nikolas90
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot access my account because I am asked for an authentification that I cannot do because I changed phone number few months ago. I tried to contact paypal via fb (the bot does not know) and via twitter (no aswer yet). Any suggestion?

Login to Me Too

worldstream
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to contact them is a complete waste of space. As far as I tell the only live people to talk to are in the US, useless as I am in the UK. This "recover access to your PayPal account" is dead. What a bunch of tossers.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.