Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

Angel1946
Contributor
Contributor

I can no longer login to my account because I do not own a cell phone and PayPal will not let me access my account without one.

I tried calling PayPal customer support and the told me to call back when I buy a cell phone! This is ridiculous! Why not verify by landline number or email? Can't find any support through PayPal Customer support.

Login to Me Too

jmilby
Contributor
Contributor

When it asked for a cellphone I put in my landline number and I received an automated call back with the code and was able to login.  My landline number is connected to my account in the settings on my account.

Login to Me Too

Angel1946
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much!  That was so simply.  Of course, I was advised by PayPal Customer Support that I could not enter my landline phone number because it wouldn't work.  I was ready to give up on PayPal but thanks to you; I will continue using PayPal! 

😍🖕😍

Login to Me Too

sknouff
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but it's not in the budget.

Login to Me Too

woogersam
Contributor
Contributor

I do not have a cell phone, never had one, so now I can not log in to my long standing PayPal account? This is unacceptable. I enter my username and password as usual, then I am sent to a screen that tells me to enter a cell phone number. I do not own a cell phone, so how am I supposed to add a number that does not exist? There is no exit from this cell phone screen, no link to bypass it. How am I supposed to access my account?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@woogersam 

You would need to add one once you have regained access as paypal have been putting notices on paypal accounts for months saying to update/add a mobile phone ready for this new policy.

To regain access......

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones when available (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Angel1946
Contributor
Contributor

I spent hours on phone with tech support and they did not have the knowledge to resolve this issue; however, jmilby from the community gave the proper answer.

Login to Me Too

Angel1946
Contributor
Contributor

jmilby gave the correct answer but I don't know how to close this question to the community since the issue has been resolved. 

Also, I am not a twitter or facebook user.

Login to Me Too

jmilby
Contributor
Contributor

When it asked for a cellphone I put in my landline number and I received an automated call back with the code and was able to login.  My landline number is connected to my account in the settings on my account.

Login to Me Too

Angel1946
Contributor
Contributor

Please refer to jmilby's reply.  This is the correct fix to your problem as well as mine!  Just enter your landline phone number where is says "mobile number" and click on "Call with the code."

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.