Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

KoKo35
New Community Member
ihave all information to login but iam forgot my phone and security challange needed what i can do
Login to Me Too

coymic
New Community Member

Hi all,

I am afraid I have no way to login my account as my phone number is old and changed for quite a while.  I used to have two emails in my account,  email1@  & email2@

Since email2 turned out to be the primary email address, I just deleted email1 manually.  That's how the tragedy happened, Quick security check will NOT use the email method when there is only 1 email in the account profile.   Rest assured that both my registered email address works and they can receive "forget password security code" so far.   But PayPal just reinforce phone check. 

Do you have any solution to get it resolved in this case?

Login to Me Too

Keeley-p
New Community Member
Hi I’m struggling to log into my account for anything an now I can’t make any payments. It’s asking me to authenticate my account but I no longer have the contact numbers and I can’t access my account to add a new one
Login to Me Too

JeffreyBohn
Contributor
Contributor

Call PP. Go to help and look for a contact us button. Click that and look for the call us button, click that they will give you a PH# and a code to call them. Good luck.

Login to Me Too

Grace212
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I haven’t used my account in a long time so I reset the password and logged in and it all worked until it now says I need to verify by being called or messaged. The problem is that it’s an old phone number and the only way to change that number is by logging in which I can without verifying. It doesn’t makes sense because I did get a code to my new phone number?! Help… anyone that know how to get around this or knows how to put that I want to be contacted another way
Login to Me Too

bulentvat
Contributor
Contributor

I have changed my registered Number via custemer service but now it says "We're sorry, we couldn't confirm it's you." I spent more than 30 minutes on international phone call yesterday and still not solved. Looking forward to hearing you.

Login to Me Too

Grace212
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for the reply! My phone carrier won’t even let me call them so I don’t know what to do.
Login to Me Too

Len_79
New Community Member

Been sent a code to change my password. All worked fine until I had to go through additional security and have Paypal send me a text or call me. Only problem is the numbers they have on file for me are all outdated and therefore they cant contact me and therefore I can cant gain access. PLEASE HELP!

Login to Me Too

Thomas329
Contributor
Contributor

The title of my question here is the exact title of this help article:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-can-i-do-if-i've-changed-my-mobile-number-and-can't...

But that help article offers no help what so ever for this question.

It suggests that you log in to change your number. I can't log in, so I should log in. The whole problem is that I can't log in. (this is another account).

This is a perfect catch-22.

If I'm having trouble logging in, it also suggests I clear cookies. But the problem is that I can't get an SMS or a voice call.

So what do I actually do? How do I recover my account? Or failing that, how do I send a message to Paypal, since they won't let me do that without first logging in?

I can't send a message, or call, because I'm not logged in.

Login to Me Too

S5ndy65
Contributor
Contributor
I can’t log in to my PayPal account as my phone number has changed. What do I do?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.