Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Theamrad 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts / cancel any subscriptions and close the old Paypal account before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

007Jason007
I've changed my mobile number a while back and went to log into my PayPal account its asking me to authenticate my account via a text message or call to my old mobile number I don't have this number anymore and there no options to try to recover it with a different method
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@007Jason007 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Temp20210619j
New Community Member
Hi please help me, I havent use my paypal acc in a while, in the meantime I have changed my phone.number and now I can't log in to my acc. It doesnt give me a chance to log in and change my number in my profile, instead when I try and log in on the second page it says that they have to send a code bit its my old number. How can I make this right or skip this step or change my number when it's not allowing me. Please help Thank you
Login to Me Too

Cole756
Contributor
Contributor
So I made the mistake of enabling the 2-step verification thing for logging in. My account had my old mobile number registered with it. Now I have the problem of being unable to confirm the 2-step log in as I no longer have that phone number! Feel like I’m going in circles just trying to log in! (And yes my password is correct).
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cole756 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ChavdArt
New Community Member

How do I fix this?

It's impossible to log-in, because it needs a code from my phone, which now has a different phone number.

Isn't that just brilliant?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ChavdArt 

Guess you missed the message that has been on paypal accounts for months telling you to check /update your mobile number.

Although not sure why someone would not have an up to date number on a legal financial account.

Try:

Or
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

SB9139
New Community Member
I cant access my account or contact customer services or change settings because the call is being made to the wrong telephone number. I cant change it. I did not change the 2 step authentication, it was changed before I had an opportunity to change the contact number. Is there a number I can call to resolve this problem? I am currently stuck in a loop.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SB9139 

Try:

Or

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.