Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

Xxxxxx2
New Community Member

I have logged into my PayPal account- which i haven't done since I set it up. Has I was unsure how to use it and being wary I never got around to even trying. Anyway I have just logged in with a password change has the original one did not work. Now this is where I am confused their is a business name on my account, with an address in the USA <removed> United States Telephone numbers I don't have a clue who's they are. I want to close the account down but I cannot has the phone numbers on my account I obviously don't have and PayPal are asking me to enter a digit code which is sent to the number on my account which are not mine. How else can I delete my account??? Which has been hacked no other explanation.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Xxxxxx2 

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

levelex
New Community Member

As the title says. It's impossible to log in. I have a new number and I can't log in now. What a great system...

Login to Me Too

PeteDavey001
Contributor
Contributor
Same issue here, and zero solutions so far!
Login to Me Too

account_closed
Contributor
Contributor

So, on another account, Paypal had a non-mobile phone listed as a mobile so when I tried to log in it wanted to verify me by sending a message to my "mobile" phone. It would not work and the twits at Paypal could not figure out how to let me log in without it or delete the non-mobile phone number. They had to close the account. Now I am getting payments to that account and cannot access or reject them because Paypal no longer has that e-mail address as a log in.

How do I get these twits to not allow payments to a closed account? They seem to hide any way of contacting them about their handling of accounts.

Login to Me Too

ability
New Community Member
Please anyone with information"I can't access my phone number'and that is making me not to have access; to change my password,because I forgot my password! Thank you
Login to Me Too

Maivhaven
Contributor
Contributor
I have my main e-mail on PayPal. And i have changed my phone nummer. When i try to log in the ask verifikation to my phonenumber What to do
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Maivhaven 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JosephByron
New Community Member

Hi all, 

My wife has an old Paypal account which is linked to her ebay - along with her current paypal. She didn't notice but money she recieved as an Ebay seller went into her old Paypal account. She couldn't remember the password and when she tried to reset it, they needed to contact her by phone. Sadly, the phone number linked to the account is an old home number from her childhood home - where neither her nor her mum live anymore. Is there a way to update the number or reset the password via another route? 

Thanks, 

Joe 

Login to Me Too

Pete691
New Community Member

Hello. I wish to change my mobile number linked to the account but to complete the verification process PayPal wishes to send a message to my old number. Have tried doing what they suggest to no effect. Cannot log in to change. <removed>. Please help 😔

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.