Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

PayPal_Jae

Hi @Simonaluiza

If you're unable to log in due to the text verification, it will be best to contact our Customer Support. You can contact us as a guest without logging in to your account. Here's how:

- Visit PayPal
- At the bottom of the page click 'Help and Contact'
- Click 'Contact Us'
- Click 'Password and account access'
- Click 'Login problems'
- Click 'Message us'
- Click ' Chat with us while logged out'

Our support will be happy to assist you. I hope this helps!

- Jae

Login to Me Too

entact
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Jae

On my laptop the 'Login problems' page has no 'Message us' button, and therefore no chat while logged out facility, only a link to the phone line.

And do you know why the 'Login problems' page doesn't mention being locked out of 2-step verification, only forgetting passwords? Given the volume of users complaining about this, do you think a dedicated link to report/resolve this might be a good idea?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

entact
Contributor
Contributor

No sign of chat while logged out here (see pic 1). "Having trouble logging in?" redirects to "forgotten your password?" Same with "recover access to your PayPal account" (pic 2). It almost looks as if PayPal doesn't care, though I'm sure that's not really the case.  paypal-screen2.jpgpaypal-screen.jpg

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Joy

Hi @Acquisitions,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble contacting our Customer Support. If you're unable to reach us by phone, you can try visiting our 'Contact' page, selecting 'Password and account access', and clicking on 'Login problems'. If you are unable to reach us using those steps, you can also reach out to us by Facebook or Twitter

Joy
If you have found any post within the Community to be helpful, please leave a Kudos or Accept it as a Solution.
Login to Me Too

Acquisitions
Contributor
Contributor

not sure if PayPal Customer Support is catching on to the main problem here -- NONE OF US IS ABLE TO LOG IN.

That's the problem we're experiencing.

Nobody can help because the entire system is designed around things happening once you're beyond the login stage, but if PayPal locks you out, surely it stands to reason that you can't then simply log in to get help with your problem?

Login to Me Too

Acquisitions
Contributor
Contributor

I hope you recognize that the suggestion to use 'Contact' is 100 % ridiculous to anyone who cannot log in to their account.

Seriously problematic, this entire mess.

Login to Me Too

Acquisitions
Contributor
Contributor

I ended up getting a call from a Customer Support person, perhaps because of several strongly worded complaints - one in a PayPal Customer Service survey that dropped in my inbox today.

There seems to be a super-heavy emphasis on 'fraudulent use' protections that causes PayPal to automatically lock accounts that don't fit into their very narrow definition of 'verified' account.

Is it possible that their IT people are just not that sharp, that they don't understand they're locking out people in a faulty verification process? Or maybe that the innocents that get locked out aren't worth any bother because the real problem (that is maybe costing PayPal big$$$) is taken care of by the drastic measures, and that's what PayPal is concerned with fixing.

Here's what the Customer Service caller sent me as a follow up to our conversation:
"Thank you for answering my call and I really hope you will be able to understand the way PayPal's security work.
Your message is very well noted and submitted to the higher management for evaluation. Rest assured, PayPal constantly upgrading the system for better and safer usage."

It isn't likely anything more than another scripted nicety, but I did get a chance to explain, at least...

And I got back into my account by physically going in to work and requesting the verification code be called in to the work VoIP phone that I registered as my mobile phone.

Login to Me Too

asir009
Contributor
Contributor

Saint How did you do it. Can you get in touch with me pls I need to get the same thing done please. 

Login to Me Too

star672
New Community Member

locked out of paypal last 12 months. tel number changed. pay pal is a head ache 2 hours working on this now..where do i phone. need help

Login to Me Too

Derick1962
New Community Member

I have a new contact number and want to change it in my account, but when I try to log in the system wants to send a txt to my old number. How do I overcome this? TIA

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.