Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

Llyod7
New Community Member
Im trying to long into my paypal account , i have changed my phone nunber and it keeos sending text to my old number but wont let me egean continue . What to do please
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Llyod7 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

tap3ah
New Community Member

I can't get into my account, it asks for phone verification, but that's my old phone number and I cannot login.
They said to contact them via chat as "guest" but there is no button for that, only phone number. And the women behind the phone is not understandable at all. I don't understand how such small problem became so complicated. 

Can someone help me around this ? 
Thanks
Mladne

Login to Me Too

ThierryStaplet
New Community Member
The phone number I use to access my paypal acct, is not valid anymore. Every time I try to log into my acct, it prompts me to use the number I have on file. I can't use that phone number anymore. I have a phone number on my mobile phone I use that goes thru the internet. The reply I receive is we don't accknowledge the phone number because it's not on the account. **Please can you send me a link or delete the current number so I can use my new number to receive security code to access my account.
Login to Me Too

Joescobbie1
New Community Member
Hi everyone I haven't used this app for a long time. I am trying to login when I do my authentication is by a call or SMS for a code? The only thing is I don't have the same phone and no way to get the code to me???? 😭😭😭 Can anyone of use kind people help me? It's my mother's Birthday tomorrow she stays in Germany and I need to surprise her with Birthday cash from Scotland. Thank use so much and hope that use are all well in these sad and bad times x
Login to Me Too

Sukhan14
New Community Member
How do I get to change my mobile number to verification my account?
Login to Me Too

barbara3697
Contributor
Contributor

I need to change my number on PayPal yet I can't get past the security page saying they'll send me a text....on my old number. I can't ring them as I'm hearing impaired. Any suggestions please?

Login to Me Too

gow35
Contributor
Contributor

I have been trying to log in to my Paypal account for 2 hours, it wants a mobile phone number of which I do not have! I have asked a good friend to lend me their number to add to my account so I could get into my account to close it because I do not want the fuss of a mobile phone everytime I try to access my account, BUT Paypal keeps saying invalid number! we tried several times! Please someone help me..... I am very disappointed in Paypal I have been using them for years now I will have to find some way else to pay for groceries etc., BUT I NEED access to the money in my Paypal account to transfer it to my bank account so I can close my paypal account. I feel I am not the only one with this problem. Please give me a quick an easy solution to this mess.

Login to Me Too

bittyboy101
Contributor
Contributor

Its been 6 months now with this AWFUL PSD2 "Authentication Required" thing which is putting a lot of PayPal users out.

You would think by the amount of people complaining that the people who own PayPal would come to their senses and GET RID of this UNNECESSARY thing which is now causing so many people problems and inconvenience.

If the EU tells you lot at PayPal "YOU MUST PUT YOUR HAND IN THE FIRE !" Are you lot foolish enough to do it ??? !

For god's sake please listen to YOUR USERS ! - We don't like this PSD2 "Authentication Required" thing EVERYTIME we log in to check our PayPal balances or pay for something.  This is now getting way too much hassle for MANY PEOPLE.   

Login to Me Too

jejnorth
Contributor
Contributor

been a long time since i have used paypal and want to log bnack in to ensure i have not left any funds behine and reuse the account.

have been able to change password but cannot accept the p2d2 call to authorise login. how can i reset this to a new number

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.