Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

shalani1
Contributor
Contributor
my mobile number is not work now.but i want to log my pay pal.verification code sent my old phone number.it is stolen.please clear this problem.
Login to Me Too

Ron1911
Contributor
Contributor

The solution is unexceptable. There is no reason for you to have my mobile phone number. I guess this means if I delete it from my account profile, I won't be able to sign in again. Too bad. Paypal was such a great company.  

Login to Me Too

Acquisitions
Contributor
Contributor

I've been using PayPal for work purchases for over 10 years. There is no mobile phone associated with my work. For more than 10 years I have had zero problems. Today I can't even log in to my account, and I can't contact anyone at PayPal because I have to log in to do so.

Is it possible there's a problem with this scenario?

Login to Me Too

Jambo78

Hi, I’m in Australia. As of yesterday, I can’t access my account. Mobile phone number required. I have an old flip phone for emegencies only. So, I enter the number and it says it’s an invalid phone  number. It’s the only mobile I have. Now what do I do to access my account? Been with paypal for 15 years. This is crazy as.

Login to Me Too

Acquisitions
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in Canada. Similar situation - end result is that I'm blocked from even viewing recent transactions.

I've filed a formal complaint with the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC)

The more we file complaints to entities other than PayPal who might hold this company accountable, the less likely PayPal can cut off our accounts at a whim.

While the legal documentation states that PayPal can take action if they can't verify your identity, I don't believe they can put roadblocks in our way and then revoke access to our accounts because of their roadblocks, especially with no warning.

There's been no problem with my account for 10 years - no disputes, no refund requests, no misuse by another party. They've revoked my access to the account with ZERO warning.

One question that I'd love to have answered -- if we ALL are being forced to submit a mobile phone # to validate our existence, why is the ONLY phone # available for PayPal the Customer Service number. Why do NONE of the people responsible for this nonsense even reveal their names, never mind an email (not to mention a PHONE NUMBER 😒 )?

Login to Me Too

Koala4

Exactly my problem. I tried to log in right now and Paypal demanded I enter my mobile phone number. It has never asked for this before. I don't have a mobile and have no intention of getting one just for Paypal. I have email, a landline, a PC and if that's not enough for Paypal, then I will no longer be able to use their services. It's a lose-lose situation for both me and Paypal. But I'm not changing my mind. I neither want nor can afford a mobile phone. To say I'm furious would be an understatement.

Login to Me Too

ojisan
Contributor
Contributor

Not a solution, problem is not resolved. 

Having to spend at least $10 a month to have a minimum mobile service plan just to use PayPal, stupid.

I have a free text messaging service that can receive texts from any source and then when received sends notifications to my email.  This service is an IP phone service that I use for calling vendors/suppliers or possible spam numbers.  Never have to give up (by caller id) or provide my home phone this way.  PayPal does not allow this valid text phone to be entered as a phone number for there account.  Why?

I get login security codes from all my financial accounts either by email, land line phone or the free text service, PayPal is the only money transfer/financial service that uses a mobile phone ONLY.

A stupid and moronic process to resolve a security issue that does not exist.

Login to Me Too

Boofunkin
Contributor
Contributor

What a total pile of garbage. Another technically incompetent fascist company! The world does not need to be run by cell phones. And they are not secure! My cell phone number is none of your business. I am going to call and have my account deleted!!!!

Login to Me Too

fegb
New Community Member

Dear PayPal/Rachel,  I hope that PayPal policy makers will reconsider this decision. I both send and receive $$ via PayPal but do not have a mobile/cell phone. This may change at some point but I do not intend to make that change just to continue transacting business through PayPal. If need be I will (and I believe many others will as well) simply stop using my PayPal account and find a different way to function. Please reconsider. 

Sincerely,

fegb

Login to Me Too

anthonyaag
Contributor
Contributor

Please advice PayPal executives that many people DO NOT HAVE MOBILE SERVICE at their home and thus are now prevented from using PayPal (8/2021). We have a mobile phone, but there is NO CELL PHONE SERVICE in the low hills just south of Hartford, CT. I can only initiate a code call back, then drive 5 miles into town and get service and find the code, and then drive back home to my desktop computer. I can't do this within the 10 minutes allotted.

PayPal needs to have a way to confirm identity over a LAND LINE, or by some other method.

I have also sent an email to the VP of Investor Relations to bring this issue to their attention!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.