Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

ChaddWestland1
Contributor
Contributor

Please help thousands like ourselves who PayPal are stopping access to their accounts and money.

We and thousands like us can no longer work from home and are being left with out income.

This is not just a complaint about a service, this is a financial company, I can only say deliberately making it impossible for customers to access their own money.

By offering a log in that has not worked by PayPal own admission for months.

I ask the BBC to please put this on the news website, please read the forums below and you will see that everything I say is !00%  the truth.

Thousands of people who are now having to work from home, are being brought to a stand still, with no income due to PayPal.

They cannot log in due to what can only be a deliberate action by PayPal, to force the use of mobile phones.

Since before Christmas PayPal have been asking for a third login, in the form of a text to a mobile phone.

They site PSD2 regulations, however PDS2 regulations state that a usable option not requiring a mobile phone be made available.

A lot of people like us have no signal or do not wish to own one.

WI FI talk requires a contract and a very recent phone.

If you have no mobile or signal the other option which is now requested by PayPal is to log in is via a land line.

It shows a code on your PayPal log in page, your landline phone is supposed to ring, you answer and enter the code on the phones key pad.

There is no call, not for us or thousands of others, there are many, many online complaining about it..

When I eventually got to speak to a live person after nearly two hours, they verified that they have the correct number.

PayPal said to me on a phone call before Christmas, that their landline log in did not work and they did not know when it would be fixed.

They have also admitted it many others.

I managed to contact them to log in before Christmas by changing our password, that however no longer works.

There are hundreds on Trust pilot : -

https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK/?brand_redir=589464587749730

Also on the eBay forum, as PayPal users who cannot log in, cannot post to PayPals forum or contact their operators.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Seller-Central/Paypal-PSD2-code-not-received/td-p/6637560

Trying to use the, not a member is even worse, as they send you round in circles with Bots.

I contacted the FSA Financial Services Association as other have, who said they could do nothing, they told us and others to contact the FSO Financial Services Ombudsman.

The FSO auto reply said they could not allocate us a case number at this time.

Another poster on the eBay forum who had been locked out the same way had PayPal threatened him with legal action, when an eBay buyer had a charge back leaving his PayPal account with a problem.

Through this he was able to get the FSO to contact PayPal who then removed the land line log in and compensated him financially.

Despite this PayPal continue to leave thousands of others unable to log in with this land line log in, that at their own admission does not work and has not for months.

Imagine it was your bank ?

Thank you.

God Bless

Login to Me Too

bittyboy101
Contributor
Contributor

Having a secret memorable information setup like the image below taken from the Lloyds Bank website where you would be asked to enter certain characters from that information/security question at random from that secret information on file (just like Lloyds Bank do) would be much more user friendly, much better and still just as secure as PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication, as everything is still very securely hidden/encrypted from hackers by the bank's own internal server. 

FireShot Capture 1060 - Lloyds Bank - Enter Memorable Information - secure.lloydsbank.co.uk.png

Just like Lloyds Bank, you would just type in your password as normal and hit enter, and then when the secondary login page loads (just like how the PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication page currently loads on PayPal), you would then be prompted at random to enter 3 characters from your memorable information/security question, for example it may ask you for characters 1, 3 and 7 from your memorable information one time and if you have to log out and log in again later on the same day or another day, it may then ask you to input characters 2, 4 and 5 and so on... and all you would then have to do is just select them accordingly to what your memorable information is i.e. some letters and some numbers normally - No mobile and no texts needed !

So for example if my memorable information was "justin1980" and it asked me for characters 2, 4 and 7 I would select a "u" for the first character its asked me for, I would then select a "t" for the second character its asked me for and finally I would select a "1" for the last character its asked me for and then hit enter to log in to PayPal 100% safely without all the heartache of messing around with mobile phones and bad signals and text messages that sometimes don't come or cannot be received because a user's phone number is outdated or they simply do not have a mobile phone. 

PayPal, Please consider this very good and user friendly alternative to PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication as it still complies with EU Law and will cause less problems for your users in the long run.  

Login to Me Too

ChaddWestland1
Contributor
Contributor

eBay says it's moving from PayPal to… eBay says it's moving from PayPal to Adyen in order to “improve its customer experience” Sounds about right well done Ebay : ) The rest of us must do the same at the first opportunity. Do not forget the years of pain that PayPal have caused you and others. PayPal has been treating people like dirt for years and years. God Bless

Login to Me Too

Hi,

I've created an account that I want to close now since i've not been using it for quite a while. I was able to reset my password, but I still cant login because the phone number registered with the account is an old one. Furthermore there is no straightforward way of contacting customer support so I am stuck. The only solution was to create another account so I can make this post. What can I do close all my account on paypal? Is there an email address or phone number I can use to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too

Jolokia
Contributor
Contributor

You can't.
Paypal hides behind "it's EU law, we have to" and a hermetically sealed off Paypal site. 
You can't get through. It's not possible
The "smarthelp" FAQ section doesn't offer ANY serious solutions and keeps sending you in circles. It's pointless.
Every "solution" requires being logged in. 
Not offering an alternative is either really poor webdesign, but I'm beginning to think it's deliberate.

Login to Me Too

Jolokia
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Olivia 

This is not a solution. My head is about to explode here. I've been trying to access my funds, but I am stuck in a loop for the past 8 hours or so.
Each single "solution" offered by Paypal's "smarthelp" pages sends me back to the same pages, which by now I can practically memorize.
Every "solution" requires being logged in.  THE PROBLEM IS, THAT I CAN'T LOG IN WITHOUT A PHONE.  
Furthermore, there is no way to get real help from a real helpdesk/service person. In fact even after Googling for "Paypal helpdesk email address" it doesn't seem to exist. 

"To change your phonenumber, go to your profile page..."
I CAN'T GO TO MY PROFILE PAGE, BECAUSE I CAN'T LOG IN.

"Then logout and press the 3 dots icon.."
I CANNOT LOG OUT BECAUSE I AM NOT LOGGED IN. THAT'S THE WHOLE PROBLEM.

"Call us at (5 phone numbers available between 7 am and 8 pm)"
I CAN NOT CALL ANY OF THESE NUMBERS BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A PHONE
"To email us Go to the "notification center" for a private email channel between you and Paypal."
I CAN'T GO TO THE NOTIFICATION CENTRE BECAUSE I CAN'T LOG IN
"Send us an email (LOGIN REQUIRED)"
I CAN'T SEND YOU AN EMAIL BECAUSE I CAN'T LOG IN.

Seriously, this is ridiculous. Paypal wrongly assumes everybody has, or wants a cell phone. 
This nonsense is now seriously affecting me, and to be completely honest I am not happy about it, to say the least. 

Login to Me Too

davy_scotland
Contributor
Contributor

can someone from paypal put a wee bit of effort into the job and call me then on landline, no mobile hate them...then il tell you the number or any other details which are needed for daft exercise which is only hassling customers , cos im sick of trying to do it online and calling the helpline that cant help.

oliva or any admin people on here.

Login to Me Too

MikeDF
Contributor
Contributor

Totally agree re mobiles and it is SO frustrating that we ALL should have one - Yes, I do as it was used for out of office marketing with shows we were involved with.

However I will not use unless absolutely necessary and calls divert to home line.

Everywhere you go you see people (even when they have children with them) just nose in to their phones. Only a day or so ago I was walking up the road to a T-junction and a young twit just walked straight out into the road - no looking to see about traffic..........dumb twit.

"....sign in to our app and get this, that or whatever" - EVERYthing has to be app related. NO it doesn't....or shouldn't!

PAYPAL - it's about time you sorted this out for people who are having trouble. Not everyone WANTS a mobile phone

Login to Me Too

davy_scotland
Contributor
Contributor

oliva if you cant answer and i understand why you cant as it is insane situation, maybe ask a boss or someone higher up to speak with people and explain.... this stuff could be sorted in no time if someone higher up just accepts the problem is paypals system not the fault of people that dont have mobile. seems a really unfair way to treat people that are loyal customers, have done nothing wrong and believed until recently paypal was excellent service. I need to use my account please someone sort it out.

Login to Me Too

OldSalt2
Contributor
Contributor

All these serious problems PayPal customers are having through no fault of their own - too many organisations are assuming that everyone has a smartphone available for personal use and seem to be trying to collect mobile phone numbers whenever they can. Regarding purchases on ebay, the last couple of times I have had to verify my PayPal account by PayPal phoning me on my landline and me inputting a code they supplied on the purchase form. Quick and easy but extremely annoying as I don't want the phone waking my household at 3am which is when I tend to be ordering. What's wrong with them emailing me a code or link to use as other organisations often do? If PayPal do finally insist on having a mobile number I will probably close my account (if that's possible). As I've said before, not everyone has or wants a smartphone, or even just a cellphone, or would have a reliable signal if they did have one.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.