Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

1Woodpecker1

They never answer the phone though

Login to Me Too

nkanwisher
Contributor
Contributor

I retired and with my retirement the company phone I used was retired. I need to update my old number with my new phone number. With the two step verification this is not possible. I have called twice and received the same answer. "I am unable to update your phone number" with two different solutions. First one was close your existing account and then recreate it. The first operator was going to close my existing account which she she never did. The second operator said that she could not close it but after 60 days of inactivity it would be closed automatically! In the meantime I was told to create a new account with a different email.  I commented surely I am not the first caller today with this issue? I got a half hearted "no you are not". To think at one point I was going to buy stock in this company! 

Login to Me Too

Demarko

Thank you for information

Login to Me Too

Zarak1999
New Community Member
In my case it asks me to connect my account and validate the phone number, what can I do in that case
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Hi. When I attempt to login to my PayPal account it requires a code sent to my old phone number that I don't have access to anymore.
I want to contact PayPal to resolve the problem so that I can access my account. I have called the number at "contact us", "call us as guest" (since I can't login to my account), inserted on the keypad the information that it automatically requested, and waited for it to forward me to someone that can help me, but after a while of waiting with music playing the call ended. It lasted 5 minutes and 11 seconds, and it costed 0.77 euros, so I would rather not continue trying the same thing and wasting my phone balance. Is there any alternative that doesn't require me to login in to my account, since I'm not able to, such as emailing PayPal's customer service, a website chat, or private messaging in the community website?

It's really bad to be charged from contacting customer service (and not even getting any assistance) because of PayPal's lack of alternatives to access my account (I know the email, password, account details, and have access to my email) and lack of customer service contact alternatives that don't require logging in. If I don't manage to find a solution then I won't be using PayPal anymore.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anonymous_User 

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones when available (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Pablo_Montes
New Community Member

Worst system ever.
I can't even believe that a company like PayPal has this kind of **bleep** loop.

It is impossible to recover your account if you changed your phone number.

Login to Me Too

Leediv_143
Contributor
Contributor
I had an account at home in Ireland but moved to UK and got a new English number and tried to log into my pay pal and couldnt because my new English number doesn't match my.old registered PayPal Irish number and now I have a new account and cant seem to link my old pay pal with money in it to this accidental one can anyone help
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Leediv_143 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts / cancel any subscriptions and close the old Paypal account before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

I changed my phone number and no longer have access to my old one how do I login to my account with text verification required
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.