Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,979 REPLIES 4,979

nevk

What a horrible mess, like so many here I am locked out of my account and can not access funds in it. This is pure theft. Unless Paypal fixes this, it is going to court.

Login to Me Too

CSJ1989
Contributor
Contributor

Biggest online bank and NO SUPPORT... only copypaster stupid bots...  unacceptable, pathetic.

We should do a group sue against paypal....

Login to Me Too

EwanBrown967
Contributor
Contributor

The problem I have at the moment is, the phone number on my account profile is incorrect due to changing job recently.  I now can't login to change my mobile number.  It would be great if Paypal could publish a helpdesk number I could call.

Login to Me Too

YvonneW1
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Olivia I don't have my registered mobile number anymore, I can't change it in my Profile as I can't get into my account, so how do I get my money? I'm in the UK, we are no longer part of the EU, so this legislation doesn't apply. Please help, I am desperate for my cash. Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Vgr63
Contributor
Contributor

It is sometimes possible to log in by going to the paypal homepage paypal.com and clicking on developer at the top of the page. Then login to the dashboard top right. Then click on paypal.com at the top to get to your account.

Login to Me Too

EwanBrown967
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip, but it's still asking me for PS2D auth.

Login to Me Too

sipelgas
Contributor
Contributor

<removed> As part of the PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication regulation, we need additional information to confirm it's really you when you log in. Keep getting this message but can’t do anything about it because it’s the wrong mobile number and I can’t get in to change it

As part of the PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication regulation, we need additional information to confirm it's really you when you log in. Keep getting this message but can’t do anything about it because it’s the wrong mobile number and I can’t get in to change it <removed> I have my old mobile phone number there wich is closed long time agao. Now paypal asks to verify me trough this nr witcs does not exist anymore.
If you want to cange it you need to authenticate yourself throug it. Same goes if you want to cantatct them for help.
<removed> IS there as solution to this problem or is it easier to try to make a new paypal account ?

How can i access my account again?
I have my old mobile phone number there wich is closed long time agao. Now paypal asks to verify me trough this nr witcs does not exist anymore.If you want to cange it you need to authenticate yourself throug it. Same goes if you want to cantatct them for help.IS there as solution to this problem or is it easier to try to make a new paypal account ?How can i access my account again?

Login to Me Too

sipelgas
Contributor
Contributor

Is this some kind of brave protest against EU lawmakers?

Login to Me Too

bittyboy101
Contributor
Contributor

"Is this some kind of brave protest against EU lawmakers?"

Yes. We UK Citizens don't like all this PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication nonsense from the EU.

Having a secret memorable information setup where you would be asked to enter certain characters from that information/security question at random from that secret information on file (just like Lloyds Bank do) would be much more user friendly, much better and still just as secure as PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication, as everything is still very securely hidden/encrypted from hackers by the bank's own internal server. 

Just like Lloyds Bank, you would just type in your password as normal and hit enter, and then when the secondary login page loads (just like how the PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication page currently loads on PayPal), you would then be prompted at random to enter 3 characters from your memorable information/security question, for example it may ask you for characters 1, 3 and 7 from your memorable information one time and if you have to log out and log in again later on the same day or another day, it may then ask you to input characters 2, 4 and 5 and so on... and all you would then have to do is just select them accordingly to what your memorable information is i.e. some letters and some numbers normally - No mobile and no texts needed !

So for example if my memorable information was "justin1980" and it asked me for characters 2, 4 and 7 I would select a "u" for the first character its asked me for, I would then select a "t" for the second character its asked me for and finally I would select a "1" for the last character its asked me for and then hit enter to log in to PayPal 100% safely without all the heartache of messing around with mobile phones and bad signals and text messages that sometimes don't come or cannot be received because a user's phone number is outdated or they simply do not have a mobile phone.    

Login to Me Too

MikeDF
Contributor
Contributor

This whole "thing" is not right. It's allowing anyone who may not have a mobile phone to be penalised by not getting into their accounts and ought to be illegal.

Our bank does have a similar thing, but at least you get a choice to do it with a land line. So is this PP place incapable of this? 😡

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.