Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,979 REPLIES 4,979

Redstarkits
Contributor
Contributor

I got no messages that you were implementing these changes so was unable to make any  changes to my account.

Now i can't access my account as my phone number has changed and i neglected to up date it (as it wasn't important at the time). I am being advised to access my account to change my phone number, but I can't get into my account to update my phone number because my phone number has changed.

Can you change it so I can gain access by using my security questions or e-mail verification or anything else. I already updated my password twice to try and gain access.

Login to Me Too

KitLightning
Contributor
Contributor

There are no email reset or security answers available to your clients via the website, how are we supposed to access our accounts if the chat support is unwilling to reset our accounts. I been trying to convince my chat support (for lack or a a more redundant word for support we can use that at the moment) since Monday and given them all data they ask for...

Login to Me Too

Naftalan
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to solve my problem by calling guest support 00353 1 43 69977.

The lady guided me through the options until we arrived at the option of messaging while logged out. The patient lady i messaged with asked a number of info to establish my identity, and she amended ther phone number in my account so that I can now log in. If I remember the way she guided me in the phone conversation, I'll be sure to add it.

Login to Me Too

Deanmoncaster
Contributor
Contributor

How incompetent can one company be? instead of just a phone number let me use any of the other options to verify my account.

what idiot didn't test the system or think it was the way to do things. morons.

Login to Me Too

Deanmoncaster
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to fix this problem by going to the main login page, clicking forgot password, changing my password by verifying my account using one of the other means available that isn't the phone number, and as soon as i got back into my account i managed to update my phone numbers and now this issue should be gone.

it shouldn't be this hard but thank you europe for making life much harder.

Login to Me Too

Billiejobrin
Contributor
Contributor
Just followed your steps after weeks of trying to get into my account. I have done it. Thank you so much. PayPal don't make things easy!!
Login to Me Too

officialsie
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to reset the password to bypass the phone authentication, and after about 6 tries, it eventually asked me for phone authentication to allow me to reset my password. 

What on earth is this? 

Login to Me Too

bittyboy101
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone in PayPal PLEASE take me off PSD2 ??

I am now living in a non EU country (the UK which has now left the EU on 31st January 2020) and the Transition period is now nearly over. (it ends on 31st December 2020 with or without a deal!)

I am really struggling with this 2 step PSD2 verification which is now becoming a real inconvenience for me and is not what I want. If I wanted this 2 step PSD2 verification EVERYTIME I login to my PayPal account to check my account or buy something I would have ENABLED PSD2 verification in my security settings in my PayPal account myself !

So my question is WHY have I been put on this PSD2 verification when I am not living in the EU ? and why is there no option for a user to disable it if they do not want it ??

I really don't like having to go out to my car in the freezing cold rain at 12am in the morning just to get  the 6 number verification code EVERYTIME I want to buy something off eBay.

I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THIS. THIS PSD2 verification HAS TO STOP, as I, THE OWNER OF MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT DO NOT WISH TO BE ON PSD2.      

Login to Me Too

Raiden85
I'm getting really bloody annoyed with this extra PSD2 step when logging in with my iPhone. Why the hell do I need to enter a code after I just verified my identity with face ID on the app which is good enough for every bank and app out there expect you! The extra step of waiting for a code on top is stupid. Once I verified the iPhone I'm using just let me use face ID only as it's always been.
Login to Me Too

steinarb
Contributor
Contributor

I'm locked out of my account because of this. I'm asked to authenticate via text, but I'm not receiving any texts. The phone number on file appears correct, but the country code seems missing. How can I get this sorted?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.