Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

Acquisitions
Contributor
Contributor

@aflensborg 

Did you ever hear from PayPal (whoever that is) with a solution?

This seems actionable - blocking access because of inadvertent glitch?

I have 2 accounts: personal and work. The work account is blocked - no warning, suddenly had no option but to enter a mobile #, which does not exist for work. My personal account is ok for the time being - easily by-pass the 2nd step verification.

I've filed a complaint with the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada - let's see how they respond.

Login to Me Too

Miriam555
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

First time here, if anyone can help out.

So everything is ok with my account, i use it mostly to pay for some things online through paypal. And yesterday, when i went to pay for something i get presented with

---

Authentication required

As part of the PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication regulation, we need additional information to confirm it's really you when you log in.

--

So part of that is that they call on the number associated with your account. Okay, no problems. Next step, they show you a digit code and you have to confirm it. And here start the problems. My phone linked is my landline. For some reason, their system can't call landline?? I am not sure if that is the right reason, or because when i put my phone i did not include the +country_code digits.

So i talk to the support person, he first wants me to change password, which he sends link after confirming it's me, i change pw (eventho my previous one was good), and now start the problems. He wants my mobile number. I don't like giving out mobile to businesses, but i still comply. And he wants to call the mobile. Just so happens my mobile is stuck in headphone mode so i can't talk/hear without headphones, and with headphones i can hear. I explain this to the person, however, he can call and i said i can type out answers in chat per his requests over the phone. Well no, he refuses that and says to contact him again when i fix my issues???

To this i go bezerk as i ask him why can't he call the number listed on the account, which is my landline. If he can call a mobile number to confirm it's me or something, then he can surely call a landline that's already listed on the account and confirm this same thing. Well, he refuses and says "it's not procedure".

And so, im now locked out of my account for god knows what reason (i dont even know what is psd2). Anyone know who i can reach out to fix this while i fix my mobile, which will likely take at least a week and i have to pay something to which by that time will be late?

Login to Me Too

Miriam555
Contributor
Contributor

I forgot to add.

--

I called the number listed after the verification fails

Contact us Call us

<removed>

--

but due to covid there's no live staff there now.

Login to Me Too

NamelessUser
Contributor
Contributor

I have got this issue with PSD2 (my primary account so old that there was no check on phone number format), I have tried to call the support number, which I have done now around 45 times, each time I get there is no operator to answer. As you need to have a working account to be able to access support via the form, I had to create this account, contact them to change the phone number on my primary account, but they just say we can see you have set your phone number (the number I used while I created the secondary account) and ends the case there.

What PayPal does, violates GDPR, which states that people must have a way to update and correct their information. Those those who live in EU and has issues with reaching customer service and have issues with PSD2 locking, should make a complaint to your local data protection agency and they will then take action against PayPal.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NamelessUser 

There has been a message on my paypal account reminding me to check my mobile phone number on my account for months.

Apart from the fact why would you not keep your contact information up to date on a legal financial account without needing to be reminded?

As you didn't then.............

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Fred1947
New Community Member

i have never used or needed a mobile phone. Paypal is now insisting almost every time i log on that i can go no further without entering a mobile phone. So i entered my landline number and the system is trying to send txts to my landline. How do i fix this? 

The beauty of paypal when it was first setup 20 years ago when i started using it, was to allow money transactions just by knowing a user's email address. Then all you needed was a paypal password and confirmation via a bank account. Simple. The simplicity of this secure system has now been destroyed by the use of mobile phones and apps, which i neither like or want.

i don't want to confirm my ebay transaction by mobile phone, else i may as well just use my bank card.

What should i do?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Fred1947 

Scroll to the reply from a moderator on this thread.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-Account/Don-t-have-a-mobile-phone/m-p/2032677#M65272

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

seig
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, same here. There is a very simple solution: don't use Paypal. I'm slowly phasing it out.

You want to securely transfer money to a person? Use Interac e-transfer. Doesn't cost a dime (unlike their 3%) and you only need the e-mail address of the recipient. No mobile necessary. Normal shopping? Credit cards work, no 3% either.

Login to Me Too

MPetrarca
Contributor
Contributor

I have had this PayPal account for about 19 years, now you want a mobile number.  I just want my money that PayPal has, and PayPal can close the account. I have been on hold for 4 hours waiting to talk to someone and during that time I have changed the payment options on websites to anything but PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Nikki145
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, I can't verify my account because I had a different phone number before and I can only send the verification code to the old number. I can't change the number on my account because I have to verify it first.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.