Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,948 REPLIES 4,948

Quagmire
Contributor
Contributor

I don't own a mobile phone. The wife does, but I don't as I don't like one, want one, or need one. I do have a landline phone. I hope Paypal will/can do something about it as not everyone has them.

Login to Me Too

Destiny68
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with you  I don't want to give this company my mobile and I won't if that means I can't use paypal in the future then so be it. I think we all have a freedom of choice and that choice should not be stolen or enforced by any company. Its my choice and I will stick by my choice, and I hope others will not be bullied into handing over information they do not want to share.

Login to Me Too

LukaKoper
Contributor
Contributor

Our club has bank account and we also created Paypal account to buy over the internet. Our club has no mobile phone and will not get one just because you want to send SMS!!! We can take a risk that somebody will use our account and buy from limited funds bank account.

But we can also use other services or pay directly with bank card so please tell me how to log in just one more time without mobile phone to delete account or at least bank card details.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Celeste321
New Community Member

Yessssss!!!! It is such crap that you can't even get in to delete personal information! I'm furious. Done with PayPal, for sure!

Login to Me Too

FredClem
Contributor
Contributor

When I signed up with Paypal, no Mobile Phone was ever required. So why now the need? There are no answers as to the solution other than discontinuing my Paypal account altogether. And I really don't want to do that. Is there any other alternative?

Login to Me Too

Snafu
Contributor
Contributor

Why can't a return email be used for verification purposes?  Why does it have to be a smartphone only.  I don't have a cell phone and have no plans to purchase one just for the sole purpose of being able to log into Paypal and I have been with paypal from day one.  I just went through a id process to get to this info section which new more about my past job experience's than I even remember but now I need a Cell Phone to prove who I am?

Login to Me Too

jimiL
Contributor
Contributor

Similar issue on this thread https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-Account/No-Mobile-Phone/td-p/1873289/page/1

It's quite pathetic that PayPal won't offer an alternative, any wonder they are losing customers, quick enough to take your money, notcso when it comes to providing a basic facility.

Login to Me Too

marksaunt
Contributor
Contributor

I have spent the whole day trying to get help from paypal to retain my account without getting a mobile phone which I do not want. I have had a paypal account for years with a verified landline home number and a verified email address. I am very upset at what seems to be veiled age discrimination and wonder how to contact paypal's legal dept.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@marksaunt 

Even my bank sends me a text when i go to log in so a lot of companies are doing this now.

Why not just buy a cheap pay as you go phone and keep it just for that purpose?

Easily solved and not sure what age has to do with it. I have a 93 year old relative that has a mobile phone !!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

marksaunt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  Your advice makes good sense if I weren't so annoyed at Paypal but this has become a matter of principal. I'll admit  age discrimination was probably a stretch but I still suspect the people this policy is excluding are more likely older & either don't want to be bothered with a cell phone or are concerned with privacy and freedom and have a memory of what real customer service used to be.  Paypal was a wonderful convenience but one I will do without. Sorry, I know this seems silly. It's not the price of the cell phone; it's the idea that Paypal wants to make me get one that rankles. Was frankly hoping more people thought this was bad practice by Paypal especially with no advance warning. I was able to get my funds out but some people may not have been so fortunate given this surprising change of policy.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.